Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:29 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Windows 10?  Buckle up

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:02pm 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/29/windows_10_may_2021_update/

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:47am 02 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankfully, I only have one W10 machine to worry about now, as all my other machines are now either Linux Mint or Puppy Linux.  The latest Puppy Linux(Bionic-64) is quite nice and is even easier to setup then earlier versions such as Slacko(which I used on most of my NAS boxes).  I have upgraded one server box to Bionic, and I think I might do the others too.

One issue I often had with Slacko, is that the install would not always produce a bootable USB flash drive for one reason or another.  Some motherboards were much more picky then others in that respect.  With Bionic though, I can just do the install to USB, and select to install GRUB4DOS along with the standard install, and that arrangement boots Puppy even on the motherboards that did not like the Slacko install.

With the USB install and GRUB4DOS, you don't even need to partition the USB drive with GPARTED etc, the install does it all for you, so it really is as simple as a two or three click install that works on any motherboard I have tried it on so far.

....but I digress - we are supposed to be talking about the latest W10 update...
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 06:29am 02 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nah, all relevant.

I was a big Linux wonk years back mainly SUSE and Ubuntu, but I haven't touched it for personal use in a decade or more. Tons of RedHat at work. One thing that has always massively p*ssed me off is the stupid case sensitivity in the FS. Massively hate that - seems to be a real marmite/vegimite issue. Also, the messiness of the root of the FS... opt, var etc no-one seems to be able to agree what goes where.

Part of me would like to dump windows but I just have my desktop in the right place I think it would be hard to replicate without massive learning curves and ATM as far as desktops go I very much want to be the user I am. PCs etc hold little interest for me other than as a tool/enabler for other stuff.
Edited 2021-05-02 16:33 by CaptainBoing

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:37am 02 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well when my HD went on this old Acer computer the hardware wouldn't let me install winsucks 7 saying the operation can't be complete due to non acer software.

So a call to a friend to burn me a dvd of linux mate and the rest is history, never used a winsucks 10 computer and hopefully never will

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:51am 03 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ CaptainBoing: Re-Linux fs etc(pun intended!), I do hear that.  It took me quite a while to learn enough of the Linux FS to know where things SHOULD be, but as you say - that does not necessarily mean that things will be where you expect them to be.  Having said that, there are plenty of programs under Windoze that are not necessarily inside of Program Files folder either.  Some applications install into their own folder off the root even in Windoze.  Nothing's perfect.   I do quite like that all devices in Linux are a folder in the FS tree.  Want to dump some text to a USB-serial module?  Just drag and drop the file to the USB adaptor folder under /dev.  But I am still very much a novice when it comes to Linux myself, so still learning more about it the more I use it.

@ Bryan1: Do you mean mint?  I have Mint on one of my other workstations, and Puppy on all my NAS server boxes, and a Raspberry Pi 3 running OpenElec as my mediaplayer.  And one W10 box to run my Windoze only CAD software.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024