Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:42 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Anyone for a very large Rebuilt Steam Tractor

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:39am 03 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This large Case Steam Tractor was built from scratch using blueprints obtained from Case.
It's a tad bigger than the portable Robey engine I occassionally fire up.

Link
ChopperP

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 03 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's a monster that one....Glad to see people still have the interest and skills to bring these back to life, so much industrial history has been lost and scraped, lucky to still have the blue prints available.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 03 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Man, that's insane. Stunning.

We had a Case tractor factory here in town when I came here 40 years ago  ...  but that made dinky little things compared to that.  
Cheers,  Roger

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:08pm 03 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

160+ Hp at over 5000 Ft/ Lb of Torque. Producing it at under 200 RPM as well.

Going to take a very serious, Very expensive modern tractor to come up with that sort of grunt and it will be doing it at 10x the rpm and then geared down.... a lot.

Has to be remembered that this thing does it all from a single Cylinder as well.
I'll bet building that magnificent piece of machinery was harder doing it now than it was when it was designed. The skill, knowledge and manufacturing just wouldn't be around now like it was back then.

The local steam Museum is having a field day in a few weeks.  Very much looking to going back there for a wander round. Been there many times before, seen it all but it's a great atmosphere and looking at that stuff never gets old.

I never enjoy a sausage sanga and a can of Coke more than when I am there. It's the simple pleasures in the right atmospheres.

They have quite a few portables and traction engines there, None as big as this Case of course but still great to watch.
Hopefully the Big Show at Clarendon will be on this year as people wake up to all this Corona Crap scare mongering and get back to npo being afraid of their own shadows. Haven't seen anything promoting it, it's usually on around September.  There are at least a couple of dozen steamers there in various forms Plus all sorts of old tractors and machinery plus loads of other stuff. Last show they were firing up old aircraft engines and even gas turbines.

Going to these shows and seeing this old iron is a great reminder of how far we have come.... and haven't.  :0(

Steam Show Details

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024