Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:08 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Sometimes you just don't ask.

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 04:09am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Edited 2021-06-29 14:12 by Old Seagull Man

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:42am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got to be a put up.
Surely no one can be that stupid or Drunk.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:31am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sure they can.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:45am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Two more contenders for the Darwin award.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:03am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

3 I think Tony, there is a hand on the table on the right.
Disturbing part is guy leaning on the side looks happy like he recognises the stupidity of it and thinks it's a laugh.  

I still don't totally get electricity I have to say. I have held 130V from solar panels in my hand pressing the wires tight and I could barely feel a Tingle. I was adding panels and ramping up testing and Checking with a MM. I wasn't game to go over 130 in case there was something I was missing but I did do it on different days and still couldn't feel more than the slightest Buzz... Which seemed odd seeing it was DC...

DC is supposed to be worse than AC so how do people get electrocuted from 110 AC?

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:22am 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  
I still don't totally get electricity I have to say. I have held 130V from solar panels in my hand pressing the wires tight and I could barely feel a Tingle. I was adding panels and ramping up testing and Checking with a MM. I wasn't game to go over 130 in case there was something I was missing but I did do it on different days and still couldn't feel more than the slightest Buzz... Which seemed odd seeing it was DC...

DC is supposed to be worse than AC so how do people get electrocuted from 110 AC?

Ah Dave, like myself you are a crusty old bugger with dry skin.

If you soak your hands in very hot soapy water for a while, apply apply skin mosturiser, you will then really jump, at even a low voltage.  The girls really are more sensitive to electric shock than us guys.

Dc is more dangerous but it will not pass through an insulator like dry skin.
AC on the other hand will pass through an insulator (which can act like a capacitor) and dry skin will not save you quite so well.
Cheers,  Tony.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 12:33pm 29 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back in the day, the "entrance exam" for becoming an apprentice electrician was how well you tolerated electricity, since we couldn't be bothered to turn it off. I passed that test.

The "new" way of doing things by turning it off first is such a bother.

As for AC or DC being the dangerous one, it's gotta be DC. With AC you get 100 to 120 opportunities a second to let go. ;>

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024