Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:09 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Too Much Technology.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:39am 21 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daughter has one of those smart Lightbulbs in her room you can control with Wifi.
Just walked past and the thing is blinking on and off as if to try and send even non epileptics into a fit.

I asked what the hell was the matter with the light?
She said " It's Updating".
Say What??  
I said your light bulb is updating?? She said yes.

I walked in here shaking my head.
OK, I get there is some technology involved but the thing turns on or off. WTF is there to "Update"?  Maybe its the security to stop hackers or something that could take over the thing and turn it on in the middle of the night when you were sleeping.... Ohhh, scary!!

My grandmother used to tell me all about when electricity came to her Sydney suburb and the parades the celebrations when they turned on the first street lamp in town.  She even showed me which one it was even though there were no markings on it.

How could I even begin to explain to her if she were still around how a lightbulb needs it's programming  updated to work??

I still have her Box Brownie camera she was given as a young girl.
Now Point and shoot cameras have many times the computing power as the Rocket that took men to the moon and so does these " Smart watch" things.

I'm already too old for this world.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 02:20am 22 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seems that the principle of keeping things simple has gone out the window.
Let see how can we sell more junk to people who don't need it.
That's it lets tell them that it has some new technology that allows them to never have to put down their smart phones.
Must be natural selection in action.
Smart phones must be responsible for many injuries to pedestrians at traffic lights.
Now we can be in our house and never have to move, Great stuff.
Lounge lizards of the world unite.
Pete

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:36am 22 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Godoh said  

That's it lets tell them that it has some new technology that allows them to never have to put down their smart phones.

Oh dear, don't get me started.
I wonder about the effects of this phone addiction.  Last time I got in a train I was the only person not slumped over a phone. I wonder if we will all start seeing an evolution where our basic posture changes due to everyone being hunched over these things looking down at them all the time.

My daughter like most her age older and of course younger, sleep with the damn things. Their whole lives are in them. I find it quite a worry in reality.

We have many " disagreements" because I want a phone to make calls, send calls and texts are handy these days. I don't want to be arsefarting about setting up " accounts"  on everything as I always pay cash any how, not have to be frigging around with all these passwords which are useless because the forced combination of minimum characters, so many numbers and  capitals mean I have to write them down because there is nothing I can come up with to remember them and all the other Bs. I want to pick the bastard up, make a call or send a text and that's it.  I don't want apps To farce crook and all these other things, I just want a goddamn Phone.  

I had to go in for a bit of emergency dental work this morning when 2 of my remaining 6 Teeth started acting up bad. The carry on about checking in on the app and all the rest of the rot. I told them I didn't have a phone ( which I didn't having let it at home) and didn't that put things into a flat spin. Filled in all the paper work and then the girl kept asking me about the QR code as I handed her the papers and confused me and obviously wasn't listening when I said I filled in the form and in the end I snapped back at her which clearly took her aback.

I didn't mean to and when I came out I apologised and said I did not mean to take my frustration out on her but all this garbage drives me insane and confused me.  She was very gracious about it but I can see how all this garbage is going to lead to a lot more problems like this.  

Smart phones must be responsible for many injuries to pedestrians at traffic lights.

When I was teaching my Daughter to drive she almost ran over a Clown that was fixated on his phone and stepped straight out onto the Crossing.  We nearly took his toe nails off. I chastised my daughter and said he was on a crossing, she said he didn't even look, just stepped straight out which was also True. Not a Good idea with a learner driver at night.

Myself I would have foresaw him stepping out and if He hadn't looked, I would have
" Accidentally " lent on the horn and woken him up. While I ( and the law)  would say my daughter was in the wrong being the guy was on a crossing, she certainly would not have been entirely responsible had the clown got hit. Given his age, It would be fair to suggest he'd had a lot more experience crossing roads than she had driving on them.  I'm sure he like everyone else he was told to "Look both ways" and now " Listen"  Rather than  " Don't take yours eyes for a second off facecrook."

Seen so many other people do it as well.  Must think painted lines on the road have some sort of forcefield that will protect them from their own stupidity and 1.5 Ton of moving metal.

danielkos

Posted: 04:25am 15 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Seems that the principle of keeping things simple has gone out the window.

Along with the ideas of taking precautions and recognising that systems fail.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024