Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:50 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Pedal generators

Mason

Posted: 06:24am 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A few days ago, I saw a video of a homemade pedal machine to generate electricity, which was very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVBR3HNjlYw
Edited 2021-08-30 16:25 by Mason

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 06:41am 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice idea, there are a few problems that have to do mainly with efficiency.
First thing is he did not understand how car alternators work and did not supply a voltage to the field coils.
Second he has now way to adjust the field current so will be supplying maximum current to the rotor field coils which will be about 3.5 amps
Pity he had no ammeter to actually show what current he was actually generating.
A very fit bicycle rider may be able to supply around 750 watts for a while, depending on their fitness level.
The fact that the tv ran off the battery and inverter proved nothing really, it would have worked without the generator hooked up.
The most important bit is how much he was able to generate, and secondly for how long.
I do know of people who use bicycle power for their houses, Peter Pedals of Nimbin in Australia has done so for years.
Pete

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:21am 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Only thing wrong with that idea was the lack of an internal combustion engine or a solar panel.  

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024