Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:39 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 128GB USB3 Flash drive for NZ$30....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:35am 13 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You know, I continue to be amazed at how much storage you can buy on modern hardware, for such little cash - even WITH the virus affecting prices across all areas.

Today, I bought a 128GB USB3 flash-drive for the grand sum of NZ$30, or US$20 if you calculate in the greenback.

23-cents per GB.....  

I still remember buying my first USB flash drive - 256MB USB in a lovely brushed aluminum case, and it cost me $275 at the time(in NZ money), as 256MB was one of the biggest capacities you could get at that time.

Using that as a point of reference($275 per 256MB), the new 128GB drive I just bought for thirty bucks would have cost $137,500!!!!

Wow.

Now, that is apples and oranges to some extent, as 256MB was about the biggest you could get at the time, but just for effect.....

I remember my first HDD was a Seagate U5 series, 20GB @ 5400RPM, and it cost me $250.

Still being amazed at the low, low prices we pay for storage today vs yesterday.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024