Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:48 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : how would you do it?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:43pm 05 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqoFFh-FtA

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 09:27pm 05 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many years ago, I made a home made woodchip heater for my hot water.
I got a 12 gallon drum, wound a coil of half inch copper pipe around it, then tightened the coil and dropped it into the drum.
Then made a funnel that went down from the top of the drum to draw air in and push the flames in the drum out onto the coil.
Cut a hole and put a flue pipe out the back from the top.
This setup made a full bath of hot water from a small box of kindling.
If i did not turn the water on straight away it made steam for about 5 minutes until the water cooled the setup down.
If I had kept the water flow down lower, I probably would have got steam instead of hot water.
Worked great for me.
I am not sure about the plumbing of that fellow, lots of leaks and using O rings for steam may not be the best option.
Pete

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:35am 06 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How would I do it ?

I think I would have my steam boiler tank, sitting next to a cold water tank of about the same height.
Then connect the bottom of both tanks together, and also a second connection below the high water mark in both tanks.

The pressure and the water levels in both tanks will always be the same, because they are directly connected.

If the interconnecting pipes are kept suitably small, particularly the upper pipe (quarter inch?) there will be very little thermosiphoning going on, although there will probably be some unavoidable but very small heat loss into the cold tank.

The cold tank can then have a standard dunny float valve that will not suffer any grief from an excess of temperature.

There are probably much better ways, but that is my best shot at it right now.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024