Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:09 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : This is weird.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:43pm 07 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 09:07pm 07 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep straight forward, no need to even slow down. Our brain boxes work in mysterious ways indeed.
These days it is a great skill to have, as editing seems to have disappeared from news outlets and the world in general.
Cheers
Pete

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 07 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I read that like anything else and then the bit about only 55 in 100 can read it and thought, that can't be right, if I can do it that easy any other dunce can.

Then I had a think and thought it's probably right.
I see what people write to a mate and my wife in job applications. You would think it was a stitch up if it were not serious.  I see other things people write up in their own words in accounts of things and while I am grammatically lazy when writing stuff like this on the net, the way some people write when it counts on important things is shocking.
I think the overall level of reading and writing is very low and comprehension is worse still. I wrote something on a forum the other day and the amount of people that took it completely wrong ( while others understood it perfectly) was obviously their failings not mine.  Sorry, I can't help it if you do not understand the written word in a straightforward context because of your lack of education and basic skill sets.

I am always being told I " Use big words" but to me they are just everyday.  I am a high school dropout but going on sure as heck didn't do much good for a lot that stayed there.

One thing, maybe the only thing, I was big on with my kids growing up was reading.  I had them reading before they could speak properly.  Didn't read them kiddies books, I read them a lot of ordinary magazines.  I saw a thing when I was a teenager that the education levels in the mainstream were way below what kids were capable of. The program showed kids being turned in to personality Devoid robots that could play classical Piano before they got to school age but I felt there was a happy medium.
I didn't care much about Maths, I was a complete failure at that at school yet it's never stood in my way even though I use BASIC maths a lot in what I do and for anything else, there are calculators of the pocket or online kind.

My kids were always MILES above  the reading standard for their age. I used to go to school one morning a week to help the kids with Guided reading. I believed in kids needing to master that skill above all else so I put my time where my beliefs were. I enjoyed seeing the kids come on with that.
My daughter in year 2 had got to the end of the levels. Teacher thought I was favouring her and tested her.  Came to the same conclusion I had, she was at the end of the books at level 20 and they were below her. Most kids didn't get that far in level 6 which was not a compliment to my daughter but a sad reflection on the level of reading education the kids were getting.

At the end of primary school they both had a reading ability above most kids at the end of High school. The ability to read properly made things MUCH easier for them through school.   I always figured if you could read you could educate yourself. That's how I know pretty much everything of any value I do.

It always served my kids well as it did me. I remember my son wanting to buy this textbook on Photoshop editing when he was still in primary School.  He had no trouble with any of it because he could read it with no problem.

With good reading goes an ability to write and express oneself and that is a life asset as well.

The sad part about the piece above which also occurred is it's a hell of a lot easier to read than a lot of what people write and I didn't have to back track 16 times to comprehend it.

One thing that does drive me insane though is auto correct.  Sometimes takes me multiple goes to write what I want because auto correct changes it to something else.
I don't have it installed on my computer but I am certain there is something here that changes what I write because it happens often and with the same words.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:07am 08 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this is why I don't bother correcting typos in text messages etc. it takes more time for me to correct than the person reading to suss what I am blithering on about

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024