Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:50 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : DIY chainsaw bar oil recipe

greg199

Posted: 02:58am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just paid more than AU$40 for 4L of bar oil at my local Bunnings store. That is far too much so in the future I'll make my own from used motor oil from my diesel ute. I'll filter it while its warm and then thicken it to be a similar consistency to the bought stuff.
Does anyone have any proven recipes for what to add to motor oil to thicken it for a chainsaw?
(I use corn flour to thicken sauces when I'm cooking but not sure how that will perform in motor oil). Hopefully someone has done some experimenting already.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 03:31am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I use clean veg oil and about 15% or 20% clean used diff oil or gear oil, (used this for 6 years) works fantastic used to get STP not sure if that is still available it would help cling to the bare and chain.

Straight veg oil works but would not recommend it, because when cutting wet timber it can thicken the oil up and screw up the gear on the oil pump.....Done that....
There is veg cutter bar oil available but I think it has some additive to help it.

I don't use engine oil because it flings off, is messy and too slippery on the cutters.
Edited 2022-03-02 13:32 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

phil99

Guru

Posted: 03:36am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The two main reasons for the high price (other than excessive margin) are:-
a) that it has to be super sticky, not just thick, to stay on the chain as it goes around the bar nose at high speed. Since most of the friction between bar and chain is on the bottom this is where the oil is most needed, but the oil feed has to go to the top.
b) it is required to be bio-degradeable as it is getting sprayed everywhere from the chain.
Edited 2022-03-02 13:38 by phil99

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:37am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Veg or old engine Oil.
I don't subscribe much to the sticky theroy, I just turned the oilers up a bit and I have never had a dry chain.

Go through chains a lot faster through dulling them than anything to do with lack of Lube and only had one bar Fail after a few months and that was replaced under warranty
And they even commented it was not though lack of oil  as there was plenty in the bearing that gave out.

I have everything from 12" Battery saws up to 92CC 24" petrol model and plenty in between and never had a problem.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 05:30am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lol... i used used diesel engine oil, there was 2 440l drums of it on our property when we bought it. FREE !! same, cut TONS of firewood and never had a drama...
I think it works !!

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 12:37pm 03 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Im still using the same 44 of shell Rimula X, the old man got in the 1990s.
For the Harvester.  its outlasted a few Homlite's and a Stihl, so far.
The Husqvarna seams to be holding up.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024