Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:36 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : DYMO now putting RFID chips in their paper....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:05am 12 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a pretty dumb move from Dymo, IMHO.  

DYMO puts RFID chips in their paper rolls....

Well, I guess that means no more Dymo label-makers for me then.
A shame, as I have been using Dymo machines from way back when they had those hard-plastic tapes, and impact-style daisywheel punching label makers.

HOW did no-one in Dymo's R&D department, NOT see the massive backlash that would come from this?  I mean, how long have people been complaining about ink-jet printers refusing to work with 3rd-party cartridges?

Not content with how badly that was received, they then started using old positive reviews as reviews of the new RFID protected printers even though everyone hates them.  

Stellar move!!!!

Followup Video...
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:38am 12 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disgusting... hopefully people cotton on and stop using them...

on a side note,  I have a " dymo " label maker, the chick at the store was trying to flog off one of there " genuine " power supplies for it ... I told her I have a box of plug in " power worts" that will fit it, she went on a rant about how you should ONLY use the genuine as its the safest... BS, its a friggin 12v plug pack with a almost bog stock standard plug... still working after 5 years...
I think it works !!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:46am 12 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As said, Printers have been doing this for years.
I have been using bulk, aftermarket ink for near 20 years as well and still to have a problem with it. I buy the stuff in liter bottles so not like I have only used a few refills.

I think they sort of get around the cart thing now by just limiting the amount of prints the things will do before they shut down for " Maintenance" which of course no one does, including the agents because it's about 5x more exy than a new printer.

I was just looking to buy a lable maker but there are other brands apparently so I'll go for one of them.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:16am 12 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noneyabussiness said  

the chick at the store was trying to flog off one of there " genuine " power supplies for it ...

Years ago I had some expensive studio strobe heads.
They had a unique Pc sync cable to the camera with their own proprietary  plug on the head.  The cables were, around 30 years ago, a painful $80!!

Would have been OK if they lasted a year but they were lucky to last a month and no way would a place warrant them.
The Cheap chinese ones were about $12 and seemed to last forever.

Was  trying to repair yet another Crappy, exy cable and the 2V light came on Dimly.
Next thing I had the head apart and of course, nothing but 2 wires going to the plug for the camera to close the circuit and fire the head.
I got the  6.5mm phono socket the cheapy cables used and mounted that with the help of a mudgaurd washer into the head and Bingo.  
Worked reliably and used the far more robust cheapy cables.

I described the mod on some forums and it went pretty Viral not just with the heads I had but with other brands that used the same sort of skullduggery.

I was amazed a twit like me came up with it but certainly no one else had and it must have cost the manufacturers a lot in lost Revenue.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:38am 13 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hey Dave, have ya had a chance to check out those power supplies ??
I think it works !!

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:21am 16 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just use mono laser printers and buy my toner cartridges on fleabay for a fraction of the price at the shop the printer came from. They do last quite a few years and I'm only on my second in 20 years

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024