Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:56 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Cutting holes in Plastic mounting boxes.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:23am 04 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trying to put some panel mount devices in some of those plastic " jiffy?" boxes.

Also trying to make it look somewhat competent but failing. Stuffed around like a Chook on a greasy plate for far too long with a dremel and a cutting blade which I broke several on and still came up with a sub par result.

Looked on YT and didn't see anyone doing anything better.

How to the smart and experienced people do it?

Seems a simple enough job but it's taxing my abilities that's for sure.
Edited 2022-04-04 20:24 by Davo99

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:39am 04 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cover the area to cut with masking tape, draw up your cutting lines on the tape, drill a small hole inside and use a fret saw to cut out the hole, then file the edges.

Or do what I did when I had 20+ panels to cut out from Perspex sheet , take them to a laser cutting shop and done in 10 min.

Mike

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 06:14am 05 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Davo99,

I use these,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMhg7p6j_k

This type is HSS and you need about 10 differing diameter sizes, i have about 20.

I find that they are excellent with blastic boxes, as they do not rip or stress the plastic as it cuts, plus if you are careful and gentle you can go in at a angle if you drill a pilot hole.

Dont cut to fast or it melts the plastic and clogs up.

Take care.
Edited 2022-04-05 16:15 by Clockmanfr
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 05 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use several methods. The hole saw mentioned above works well on big boxes but can be dangerous on the smaller ones.
There is also a device called a 'chassis punch', I have several of these. They last forever (unless you cut stainless) but when I just checked on ebay, they are now quite expensive.
Then there is the 'abrafile', its a round file (~3mm) with very coarse teeth that cuts like a saw. Great for any shape cutouts in small boxes. The one I saw on ebay is too expensive, check RS components, I got mine from them years ago.
Lastly you could use a hand nibbler. This cuts about 2mm thick plastic material or 1mm alu max. It requires a 10mm starting hole and one proceeds from there.

The tool I use most is the abrafile.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024