Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:25 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Data Logger

BjBlaster

Posted: 03:41am 27 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got a good (and cheap) expandable data logger of some sort? I love the piclog, but I want something I can expand and measure my solar / heating / wind / currents in loads etc and either push it straight down ethernet to a web/ftp server locally to store it, or something that has flash memory and can store this data onboard to pull later.

I was looking at using the 1 wire sensors, but something pic based with lm35 temp sensors and the like would be fine.

This way I can host up my live RE stats on my web site!

Ideas?

BjEdited by BjBlaster 2009-01-28
Check out my projects here in:
Bj's Shed

Gill

Posted: 05:05am 27 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bj,
Why don't you make your own?
I modified Glenn's Charger project to give me Amp readings of Solar, Wind, Hydro, Total A generated, Load, Dump and Battery charge. These readings were sent via either radio link or wire link to the PC for logging.
The IC used was a Picaxe 28x1 but this also drove an LCD so a smaller chip may suit your application better. Adding a temp sensor is no dramas as it is well covered in the Picaxe manuals.

I think some of the software mentioned in the Data Logger project is capable of providing continuous data to up-link to a web site, but that is not my interest so I've not looked into it.

No one is offended if you use the guts of one of this sites picaxe projects and modify it to your own windmill data needs. The input circuits are already there, so to are the code samples for sending data to PC.

I don't think you'd get a tailored data system any cheaper.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 05:36am 27 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bj,

The Maxim DS2450S is a useful device. 4channel 16bitADC. Hook 3 up to a picaxe08M and some simple code and you have at least a 12 channel, 16bitADC voltage input sensor. This is not a logger though. The common earthing will still present some issues. I am still working on my own logger. Opto coupled analogue to digital converters on many sensed inputs is tricky. I will still be using the VB application I published a while back. The web interface is not where I would be heading either.

I have to settle on a modular system that has high or low gain inputs, for current and voltage sensing, with the opto coupling. I don't want to record data with measument errors from ground loop interactions. I have tried hall effect devices, but I am still considering sensing resistors for current.

Good luck with your logging project.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

BjBlaster

Posted: 07:34am 27 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill said   Bj,
Why don't you make your own?

I was prepared to, but it's always good to ask first just in case you don't have to re-invent and then inflate the wheel :)

I have a linux server that runs all day, so I'll probably just whip up some app for that and use a pic / serial port job. I do like the 1 wire, but if no-one has tried it then it's best to KISS.

Cheers

Bj
Bj's Shed

BjBlaster

Posted: 06:30am 28 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For current measurement, what about something like these little fellas? from RS - LEM LTS25-NP as they only need a 5V single rail supply.

Anyone tried something like these in their projects for PIC current interfacing?
Bj's Shed

GWatPE

Posted: 08:08am 28 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bj,

these transducers have relatively low gain [max +/-0.6V swing] and high current [>20mA] consumption.

You would probably need to use 16bitADC and only powerup device during measurements.

Gordon.Edited by GWatPE 2009-01-29
become more energy aware

BjBlaster

Posted: 04:23am 06 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ended up building a "rs232 bus" that can handle multiple picaxe 08Ms. I can then have 2 analogue inputs per picaxe. This has worked out really well, as the scattered around my house measuring temp and solar volts at the moment. I used some spare ports on my existing cat5 network around the house, so each picaxe is powered from the rs232 hub and TX/RX is all done over the 4 pairs. I then used my mythtv box to run the linux software that asks each pic for it's data and logs it. The roof temp also turns on an roof extraction fan after 30oC.

Here is the live data here that is updated ever minute if there is a change.

Still have a bit to go getting the graphs and history working under perl, but it's a start :)

Cheers

Bj
Bj's Shed

mattvenn

Posted: 12:48am 06 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used zetex 1022 current sensors with 5mOhm shunt resistors. These give a voltage swing that is easy to read with an ADC.

GWatPE

Posted: 04:58am 06 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the Zetex are designed for 12V applications.
become more energy aware

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:03pm 05 Jun 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

simple and relatavely cheap, I bought a APRS world anemometer and logger, logger does heaps of things and dumps it to an SD card.

so far the only problem is I need a tower for the anemometer that would be the same height as the turbine
(per a book I just read, relatively low level, 2m above house mounted to chimney) is pretty useless.

Incidentally on / around black saturday we recorded 50deg+ on the temp sensor and max windspeed of 15m/second!

we were inside watching the garden die before our eyes......
Luck favours the well prepared

GWatPE

Posted: 02:00pm 06 Jun 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Karl, the 200+EURO price may put a lot of people off.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024