Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:04 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Looking for substitute of mobile phone Li-Ion battery: Medion S1280

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 10:13am 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Need battery for old mobile phone that is used as timer and camera now.

Battery has 3 contacts, has 3.7V, 1500mAh (5.55Wh) and is roughly 55x55x5 mm
5mm thickness is not important as back lid might not be snapped on.

10 years old original battery Medion S1280 model is tricky and often drops dead from 60%.

Can somebody help me to get replacement?
George

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 24 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not an easy battery to find, thought the old Bauhn phone battery (or mobile wifi modem battery) might go close but it was much bigger, most batteries advertised don't give dimensions and are mostly rectangular in shape.
There should be model number on the battery, and could be cross referenced with another brand, failing that, find a local phone kiosk they can often help.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 08:11am 25 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Aaron for reply.
Do you happen to know some details about old Bauhn phone or mobile Wi-Fi battery?

I slowly find more information about different batteries sizes and number of contacts, often mentioned on pictures or observed on pictures like number of contacts.

For some reason all sales are concentrated on replacement and it is OK for some applications, as it is probably what most buyers want.

I also would like to get dedicated replacement or generic.
It was never available, in a meantime I got another phone, but my nature did not allow me to just throw out this phone.

Looks that most important parameters are:
Lithium-Ion, 3.7V, 1500mAh and 3 contacts

Icing on the cake:
54 x 54 x 5 mm size

Funny, but contacted sellers on E-Bay do not want to touch my requests even only for number of contacts on battery, despite that I offered to keep the battery if size is not good.
Voltage and capacity is included in sale information.

If I do not get any information on number of contacts of some of the batteries that look to fit my phone I will just order one that has this information plus Lithium-Ion 3.7V

(my search skills are not too good unfortunately)
George

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 25 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bauhn asp-4300w    
65 X 53 X 4mm
polarity, outer terminal is positive.

Modem battery is in use, cant find the old one ATM.
65 X 46 X ?4mm orso

I might have mentioned this someplace before, often a phone and its  battery is made and released on sale for a year, then until sold out, the batteries for them are made the next year after and then no more, batteries remain in stock until sold out and thats it.
I have bought batteries for OPPO phones and found them to be as old as the phone itself, so no chance of getting fresh new battery it will be old stock, this will be the same for some other brands.
So best of luck, you might be able to do some hackery to get a slightly over length battery to fit in.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 02:53am 26 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much for this extra information on age of stock.

So another parameter would be year of production.
I can see no chance of getting this information from sellers it is definitely not in their interest.
But hope that "brand new" replacement battery will not be older than my old one.

By the way is there a way to determine age of Li-Ion battery other than it has problems with holding charge?

Problem is that most new devices have 4 contacts or terminals and I need three.
(Maybe if I had more clue about what does what it would not matter, but not keen to kill battery doing silly things)

Looks that with patience and looking at a lot of pictures of specific battery, sometimes I bump into one that shows number of contacts.

I was tossing between smaller battery that will definitely fit in but has much smaller capacity, or larger one that even has larger capacity but will require some fitment work.

Now looks that I will have to look for something 3.7V, 3 contacts and for device that is currently sold like modem or any other lately released device.

Once again thank you Aaron for your help.
George

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:43pm 26 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  By the way is there a way to determine age of Li-Ion battery other than it has problems with holding charge?

Mostly only know the age of the battery if it has a date marked on it, many of the devices with polymer packs like a cordless DVD player don't always have a date on them.
You may have some luck with master instruments, many years ago was given a heap of dumped batteries and many of them where packaged and labelled by them.
https://www.master-instruments.com.au/pages/products.html
I did contact them about buying some batteries, but the salesman I talked to was less than interested in selling.
You might have better luck, they should be able to find something close to the specifications.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 12:27am 27 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for link.

Lots of information, some pictures show number of contacts.
Looks that they are selling to companies and sale of single batteries is limited, but  beauty of this site is information.
George

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 11:10pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got the battery  CPB-EB575152VU   3.7V 1.5Ah  5.6Wh delivered.
It is about 2.5 mm shorter and 2 mm narrower and all I had to do is prop it up with pieces of rolled up paper.
Most amazing thing was that battery contacts were matching phone contacts.
Right now phone is charging.
Replacement battery is fraction thicker and back lid latches have hard time to stay closed.
But it doesn't look too bad.
George

Georgen
Guru

Posted: 04:21am 27 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Probably should not have bored you with this information, so please excuse me for this post.

Use old Medion phone as 5MB camera, calculator, timer and alarm clock and don't have to load it more often than once every 2 weeks.
Also don't have to worry that it might drop dead with supposedly 40% or 60% of charge remaining.

Thanks again for help.
George

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 09:51am 27 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not at all Bored, Glad your getting some use out of the old phone , better than letting it go to landfill.
I have one old oppo phone that is used to view battery status on a BMS, I might do that with the other old phone as well, if the app is still compatible.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024