Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:21 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Built a Band Saw Mill

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 09:54am 13 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Built this band saw mill a few years back, it worked well but needed a few improvements, as always you find out these things while testing.
The tracks it sits on were built wide so we could use it to accommodate a swing blade type sawmill, (similar to what the peterson mill now have) but end up building the band saw instead.
I Have been cutting iron bark and it was riding up a little before the end of the log, the problem was the motor is heavy and hanging at the back, making the blade angle up a bit on the leading edge.
The easy fix at the time was to slip a wedge between the box section to level it out, and continue cutting boards.

This build started out with a friend that give us the wheels from a busted meat saw, so from that point on we had to build something with it, quite often it only takes a few parts to start an idea and then start building.
Its all made from junk we had around the place,
Parts.
3Phase 5.5Kw motor was from a Thermoking cold room (was a bit tired and worn out).
The wheels (V pulleys) on the track and other places were from an old paint stirrer.
Large steering wheel off a Leyland truck.
The large pulleys for the lifting cables where from old washing machines Probably Pope or something old.
The threaded jacks 1 up top for lifting the mill and the other for adjusting the tension of the Blade, where from an auction with some junk attached, not sure what it was supposed to be, but had some good parts on it.
Used some busted scissor jacks for log clamps.
Other stuff, bits of angle and steel plate normal stuff that gathers dust in the shed.
I think the only part that was bought specifically for this was the blade, and its the standard size that other mills use.

Eventually got round to doing a few mods to correct blade angle issue, used some wheels on the box section and made them adjustable to take up the slack and keep it steady.
Will eventually change those thrust bearings and mount them the right way behind the blade to support it properly, it works as is but will be better.

For years people keep saying "why don't you dump all of that rubbish, you will never get round to using it" I do wish they would stop saying that crap, funny thing is, its often the same people that want me to fix something of there's that they have broken and cant buy from the shop.
Anyway it is portable and was a fun build, At the moment it is powered from a 3 phase generator, but using solar power is still a possibility.
The storms often blow over a few trees so might as well use the timber.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 10:07am 13 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice to have a big block to build things like this. This must have kept you busy for a while putting it together. I gather the 'feed' of the blade into the log is pushing by hand?
Do you cover it when not in use?

I'm curious what that blurry thing is hovering over the bed in the first picture?

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 13 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I gather the 'feed' of the blade into the log is pushing by hand?
Do you cover it when not in use?
Yes it's just push feed, I thought about making it power feed, but every log is different and needs a slightly different speed and the width of the cut makes a difference as well, it really Doesn't take that long to cut a slab and easy to stop if something is a bit off.
It has the motor covered that's about it.
  Quote  I'm curious what that blurry thing is hovering over the bed in the first picture?

The blurred bit,Its just some unsightly junk in the background, some old tractors and a tank stand etc, I guess I could have left it there, its all different now, Didn't event have solar panels at the shed back then.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

johnmc

Posted: 10:27pm 13 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aaron well done.

Most Interesting build,Enjoyed the pictures.

I like the neat way of raising the saw height
and the overall recycling of parts.

Cheers john
johnmc

pd--

Posted: 09:26am 15 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is neat
I have been contemplating knocking sumthing up with a chainsaw and extension leader.
" just because that is what i have to get started with "
but what you have maid is really cool

is the water to keep the blade cool / clean

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 16 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank John,  There are times when things just go together well, you know what it needs to work, then see something that can easily be made or modified to fit the purpose.
Other times it can be difficult to get into that mindset.

PD, yes its soapy water for blade cooling, it helps remove the dust from binding up the blade, Didn't need it on that last piece of pine though.
I did try slabbing an ironbark log with a MS390 chainsaw by hand, (no rail or guides) after watching a chainsaw competition cutting split fence posts, they made it look fast and easy, when I cut one slab it was decent workout for me and the chainsaw.
Making a chainsaw slabber will work well, and well worth the effort making one depending on how much you want to cut, uses a lot of power from the chainsaw.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024