Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:53 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : How NOT to adjust an 1100/1300 distributor....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:33am 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This one resulted in some.....shall we say, bad language.

1973 Morris 1300 - same engine and gearbox arrangement as in the 1100 series, or ALL of the classic Mini cars.

Chum of mine was trying to reset the dizzy drive that comes off the camshaft, as the dizzy was out when we got the car, and we had no idea if the dizzy was in the correct place for firing on #1.

Pulled out the dizzy drive with a strong magnet, and then tried to put it back in with the same magnet.

Did not use the correct method, where you are SUPPOSED to screw a bolt into the thread on this thing, then offer it up.  With the bolt in hand, the drive cannot get away.  With no bolt, it can - and it did.

While trying to line it up with a magnet on a stick and a screwdriver, the dizzy drive unit dropped into the gearbox........

To fix this, we now have to remove the entire engine/box, remove the clutch and clutch-cover + drop-gears, separate the engine from the box, retrieve the dizzy drive from inside the gearbox and replace it, re-mate the engine with the box, replace the drop-gears, clutch and cover and then replace the assembly back in the car.

....all to get back to where we were before.

I post this thread just so others can have a bit of a giggle at our misfortune.
Don't EVER forget to screw that bolt into the dizzy drive, or this could happen to you, and boy - does it add some major work to what was supposed to be a simple resetting of the timing.

Rather a lot of extra work for a few seconds inattention.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is there any special reason why the drive gear isn't pinned onto the distributor shaft?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:16am 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

time to check the bottom end etc. while you're at it... call it an unexpected opportunity

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 05:33pm 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ouch, but looking at the engine, you could probably pull it by hand. Literally. :)

My '67 Fiat 850's engine was 32cm (12.5") long. I simply reached in and pulled it out when doing a clutch job.

I was a younger man back then. And in better shape. :)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:04pm 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ phil99 - It kinda is.  The dizzy drive shaft gear thing, has a helical gear that engages with another gear on the camshaft.  Behind that on the same shaft, it fits into a hole in the engine block that holds the gear in the correct position.  Back outside the engine, there is a retainer thing that holds the dizzy drive in place, so it can't thrust forward and come out, but once you remove that, without screwing a bolt into the dizzy drive, it can just drop down into the gearbox if you lose your grip on it, which is what happened.   It's a schoolboy(or girl if you like) mistake, and not something anyone who works on these engines should ever allow themselves to do - cos you use the bolt to stop that happening, till you have it seated correctly....

@ CaptainBoing - Well, there is that I guess.  We'll probably check the crank and big-end bearings while we're at it.  Knowing our luck, they will all be due for replacement.

@ SimpleSafeName - They are small, but still too heavy to lift out by hand.   You can't get into the bottom-end, without removing the gearbox that is basically the sump in these power units.  To seperate the gearbox/sump from the engine, you have to take the whole assembly out of the car.  Oh well - something to keep us busy at weekends for a while I guess...

I might post photos if anyone is interested.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 10:16pm 14 Feb 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, the 850, as the name implies was a 850-ish cc engine. More or less a motorcycle engine.

Photos would be great. :)

And I have a 72 TR6 that followed me home and needs restoration. Soon, I hope.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024