Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:41 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Hydro Power On My Property?!

djperrin

Posted: 05:29pm 02 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have two mountain springs that once flowed into wetlands. I turned the wetlands into a pond that is 8 feet deep at the deepest point and has about a 35 foot diameter. There is only one way for water to leave the pond and that is a pipe that was installed when the pond was made and it sits vertical in the center of the pond. When the water gets above 8 feet it goes into the pipe, under a road and then it turns back into the once existing stream. The pipe is a 6 inch pipe in the pond so when the water flows into it, it drops the length of the pipe, 8 feet, and then runs at a downwards angle under the road and exits the pipe. It already quite pressurized by the time it leaves the end of the pipe. Would I be able to neck down this pipe and flow it through a generator to produce energy? If so, how can I check on the legality of this. This stream is formed on my property and runs through my property for about 500 yards. This would not change the amount of water flowing or anything like that, it would just be like I extended the existing pipe somewhat. Please some input?!

windlight
Guru

Posted: 04:05am 24 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

djperrin, it's a bit hard for anybody to answer your question, because it is not revealed where on this earth you are, not to me anyway.

You have already altered a water course by creating a pond, has anybody noticed?

If not will anybody notice you place a water turbine on the end of this pipe?

If you go to the relevant government agency chances are they will ream you out for creating the pond, possibly a case for just doing it and if challenged stand cap in hand and plead ignorance.

allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

greengoblin

Posted: 01:34am 03 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday djperrin, i installed a hydro turbine on my previous property. You really need a constant flow and high head of water. I had about 15 ltrs per minute and a drop of 30 metres, water was supplied to the turbine through a 2" pipe then reduced to a 15mm nozzle, or 10mm in summer! This setup only produced about 10 amps at 24v, however it produced it 24/7 which was more than enough to run my house as i used gas for hot water and cooking. Sorry to be negative but i dont think you would create enough pressure to run a pelton wheel type turbine. You could experiment with a water wheel type setup tho (lower speed, higher torque)goodluck...Pete

mbombay

Posted: 11:06pm 03 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

-

That's what you call a pipe dream....
Even in a large dam water flows through the turbines
only for a specific amount of time and only when enough
water has been collected to create that pressure.
What you are thinking is like installing a generator to
your faucet to produce electricity while you take your bath...

Thanks

-

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024