Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:29 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Is was a Electric Scoota!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:16am 23 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, not really windmill related, or even enviromentally friendly.

I picked up a busted electric scoota from a guy at work. He bought it for his kids a few months earlier, and one of them tried to drive up a gutter at full speed. Funny enough, it didn't like that, and smashed the front wheel and forks. So I was given half a scoota, the handle bars and front wheel were missing.

I had a handle bar from another scoota, all I needed was the hand grip speed control, and front wheel. I ordered a hand grip control from Oatley electronics, but what about the front wheel. The cheapest wheel I could find was $35. But then a mate suggested I buy a trolley from Bunnings, for $25 you get the trolley and TWO pump up tyres! Sold.

I fitted the controller and new wheel, and took the scoota for a spin. Well wasn't that depressing, this thing was gutless, and I had hoped it would have enough power to get up the hill to my place. You see I wanted a scoota so I could run down to the front gate to check the mail and take out the rubish.

OK, plan B. I had a 17cc 2 stroke whipper snipper doing nothing since I bought a new 4 stroke one. It has a centrifugal clutch, so would work on the scoota. I needed to reduce the gearing ratio more, so I used a gear box from a dead angle grinder, giving me an extra 4:1 ratio on top of the existing chain ratio. While I was at it I adapted a drum brake from the bike wreckers, the original brake system left a lot to be desired. A hand throttle was fitted and a tank full of gas saw me hooning around the yard with the dog determined to bite that front wheel. 

But it still did not have enough grunt to get up the hill. I needed more power!

Plan C. A visit to the local dump came up with a 30cc whipper snipper for $25. It didn't go, but when I got it home I cleaned out the carbi, and she fired up. The new motor was fitted to the scoota with a little modification to the frame. Took it for a spin around the yard, and it sure had more power then the 17cc motor. Tried the hill, yes! It makes it up the hill, but is working darn hard.

Plan D and Plan E. I need a little more power. The whipper snippers have a terrible muffler system, very restrictive, so my next step it to build an expansion chamber exhaust system. If this still lacks power, I'll got back to electric.

A car starter motor can make 2 - 3 hp, thats more than enough power to get up the hill. But, there are problems with using starter motors. One is speed control, to control a motor that draws a couple hundred amps would take a fancy ( see: expensive ) controller, or I could just use a heavy relay to switch the motor on or off. This may make taking off a bit interresting. The other problem is starter motors usually use bronze bushes instead of bearings, meaning a short duty cycle. A couple of minutes use is about the max before you turn it off and let things cool down. But it would only take a minute to get up the hill, so this could work.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Chris

Posted: 05:25am 23 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice looking scooter there glenn. If you want to go electric, why not use the oatley motors? They are cheap and powerful!
I built a scooter a year ago. It is a 125cc victa engine with a 5:1 gear ratio. It goes very nicely. I use a Oatley 200w electric motor as my starter motor/generator.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:00am 23 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Chris

The original motor was the same as one of those Oatley motors. It came with a 200 watt motor, and I swapped that with a 300 watt motor, but was still lacking in power. OK on the flat, but couldn't make it up the hill.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Chris

Posted: 08:03am 23 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Swap it with a 500w motor, up the voltage to 36 or 48 volts. Then build a contactor controller. So it just switches the batteries between series and parrarell. Its easy to do with 12/24, and 12/24/48. Because you will get all batteries discharging evenly. But its harder to do with a 36v system.

If you are only using it for small rides then im sure they will handle the extra voltage fine.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:22am 24 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good idea but still no where near the power I need Chris. The whipper snipper motor would be making close to 1000 watts, and it struggles with the hill, and besides, I would need to buy a 500watt motor. If I convert to a car starter motor, I have several lying around I could use.

Glenn

JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 05:57am 24 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I would need to buy a 500watt motor. If I convert to a car starter motor, I have several lying around I could use.

And that, dear viewer, is the difference between a real "tinkerer" and the majority.

Real "tinkerer" types collect everything, because one day, it'll be useful. You won't know what for, or when, but when the day arrives, you'll be glad you did.

RossW
(dedicated hoarder of many things "useful one day")

Chris

Posted: 09:53am 24 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is sensibility too though, sometimes the cost effective solution doesnt suffice.

Go to this site:
http://tziworld.com/scooterforum/

Ive been a member there for a while now. Its a decent bunch. Ask some questions. The guys on there have tried alot of things you wouldnt have thought of...

Hoarding is good until you run outta room. Then you look crazy You guys are lucky, you got farms and lots of open land...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:09am 24 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Update on the scoota.

I pulled the muffler apart to see just how restrictive it was. Inside there was a baffle plate, with 5 tiny 4mm holes. And the stinger outlet was about 8mm diameter. No wonder the motor was so quiet. I drilled about 20 5mm holes in the baffle plate, and made a new outlet pipe from some 12mm id pipe, and then crimped the muffler back together.

Boy did this make a difference. Its louder, as expected, but not that loud. A test drive around the yard felt like it had a lot more grunt off the line, but what about the hill?

I rode half way down the hill, turned around and headed back up. Well it rocketed up the hill ( as well as you would expect a whipper snipper powered scoota to "rocket" ), even the steep bits were easy.

So its now a success. I wonder what mileage it gets?

Glenn
JAQ

makourain

Posted: 02:17am 18 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote]A hand throttle was fitted and a tank full of gas saw me hooning around the yard with the dog determined to bite that front wheel.[/quote]
LOL!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024