Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:22 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : open hardware renewables projects?

mattvenn

Posted: 08:50pm 28 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone!

I'd like to thank the forum for providing me with so much help and inspiration! I've just started publishing information on 2 renewables projects on a new website http://openrenewables.org.uk

If anyone wants to post or link up their projects (have to be willing to share schematics/data/information) - I want to build an index of projects.

Also, it would be great if anyone wants to be involved in an open source/open hardware charge controller that uses best practice techniques.

Cheers, and thanks again,

Matthew

Bernie the Bolt

Posted: 08:08pm 30 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matthew,
Best of luck with this online resource project, any info that is of the best possible quality is a great help to anyone starting up their own homegrown system.
I am my self about to start building a system based on the F & p 100 stator, and am now living in rural France after moving from Cornwall.

Bernie the Bolt

I'd rather be sailing!

mattvenn

Posted: 06:42pm 01 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cool!
good luck with your project too.

mattvenn

Posted: 11:03am 21 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been working with the idea of making a comprehensive charge controller for solar/wind/microhydro. Minimal details here:

http://openrenewables.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Open_charge_cont roller

I'm thinking of applying for funding to get the first prototypes built, and then 50 pcbs made. The funding will also cover the creation of comprehensive 'howto' guide and 10 kits that we can use for evaluation and testing.

I'd like to know what this community things about this plan - specifically:

* will it be useful?
* would anyone be interested in contributing ideas
* anyone able to build and test the finished kits in a real setting
Edited by mattvenn 2009-05-22

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 21 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We already have here a target:

Gill said  What we as windmill designers need is to bring and tie all our data together over a period. By this I mean, from the battery shed_ Solar input Amps, Wind input Amps, Hydro input Amps, Load Amps, Dump Load Amps, Battery Amps in/out and Battery Voltage. Then from the windmill head_ rpm, and wind speed. And from the solar array_ light intensity. My challenge is to bring all this data together as one time related record.

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

mattvenn

Posted: 01:44pm 27 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes, I've got that [http://openrenewables.org.uk/wiki/index.php/What_is_needed on the wiki] already.

What I am guessing is that there are a lot of people out there who can make the blades, stand, find an old motor, find some reconditioned batteries, and are missing the electronics. A decent charge controller is quite a project for someone not already fluent with electronics (in my opinion).

Making a pcb and kit of parts available as cheap as possible could help a lot of people into the home power generation.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024