Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:58 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Building a Prony brake

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:02am 02 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well I've just about given up testing my windmills in the wind, cause I dont have any wind here. My neighbor has good wind, in fact every one else in my neighborhood has good wind, I can see their trees blowing about. My tree's dont move. "You got a dirty great hill blocking your wind mate" I've been told.

So, until I move to a better place, I'm going to do bench testing only.

I needed a Prony brake, so I can accurately measure power and efficiency. Add a couple of meters and I would be able to plot power/RPM/voltage curves.

I used a DC 130v treadmill motor and controller. This is the result.

The pulley on the F&P shaft was from the treadmill, I found it didnt give enough reduction in RPM, so I ended up using a spare F&P hub as a large pulley.

Heres a closer look at the bearing.

Tomorrow I'll calibrate the thing, work out some bearing losses, and start testing. I have some batteries so I can test for 12/24 and 48 volts, I can experiment with the cap conversions, and test my staggered stators to work out the cut in speeds of each stage.

Jolly good fun

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

sPuDd

Posted: 10:20am 02 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These might help you with your wind deficiency Gizmo:

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

fillm

Guru

Posted: 10:58am 03 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The utilux clip bearing housing , that is a classic Glenn . You might find that the scales are very hard to see the small differences in power , Big w has cheap digital scales and they zero at the touch of a button. Good to see the results when its up and going
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Dinges

Posted: 11:23pm 03 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=Phill]You might find that the scales are very hard to see the small differences in power , Big w has cheap digital scales[/quote]
In my experiments with a De Pronybrake/dynamometer on the lathe, I too used analog kitchen scales. The pointer moved wildly during tests, one had to average by eye the reading. This is easy to do with analog scales, but impossible with digital scales, where the numbers jump rapidly around but one can't see trends or averages. This is one case where analog, despite its (perceived) lower accuracy, is better than digital.

Peter.

Perry

Posted: 07:46am 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you had any luck with this? I am interested in doing the same. I also have the unlucky distinction of a wind turbine hobby in a location that has no wind. I feel your pain.
Perry

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:21am 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Perry

I had a problem with the belt slipping if I tried to draw any mor ethan 200 watts from the F&P. If I increased the belt tension, the F&P hub I was using as a pulley would deform. So I took the hub into a mates workshop and machined some groves to match the multigrove belt I was using.

Thats as far as I got. I havn't had a chance to try it out, but I will in the future.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Dingdoc

Posted: 02:52am 05 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn
Have you considered using a magnetic damper on the end of the torsion arm to stabilize your readings on the scales?
It would be pretty easy to add with just an aluminium vane between a couple of strong magnets.
Trev

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:09am 07 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a good idea Trev. I have a bunch of hard drive magnets that will work perfect.

Glenn
JAQ

Perry

Posted: 10:29am 15 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you thought of using the 2 fish scales and a belt method? It is usually what I think about when I envision a prony brake. It seems like it would be more forgiving of the various 'bump' readings a spring scale might experience.
Perry

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024