Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:23 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : New to Australia - Need Advice

RednekDownunder

Posted: 04:43am 23 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey guys, I've been reading along for a while, but sadly still a little ways away from being able to start on my own projects. I've just moved to Australia from America, and looking for any sort of recommendations on the sort of brands/items I should buy and where to get them.

I was only able to bring the basics, not much room for me and my fiance to put anything right now, so I'm going to be looking for tools once we get a place of our own. I'm in the southeast suburbs of Melbourne, if that helps narrow down some recommendations.

What brands do you guys recommend for power tools? Also, what kind of places is there to get them? I've discovered Bunnings already, but surely there's a couple more options out there.

I'll also be searching for electronics components. Dick Smith has been a disappointment, so I'm looking for a place that actually sells resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. There's a store nearby called Jaycar that appears to be an electronics store, but I've not got around to going in and checking it out yet. I'm also looking for a soldering iron, multi-meter, maybe a power supply, and other things to work with/test electrical circuits for projects. Any sort of recommendations on brands and where to buy on this type of thing would be great as well. Also, enameled copper wire, any suggestions on where I can get this in Melbourne in decent quantities?

Hopefully this is in the right place and isn't too much to ask. Any other suggestions for fitting in to the Aussie way of life are welcome as well. :)
Jesse - The redneck downunder

greendreamin

Posted: 12:44pm 23 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

welcome to oz
im a x kiwi (new zealand) been here for 4 years, except im over in perth so sorry cant help you on the melbourne stuff but as for tools bunnings or 'bunno's' is aimed at the home handy man they do have a few better brands there but it depends on what your looking for in a tool, the cheaper stuff is chinese crap brands include tallon, sontax, and theres a few others you can tell them from there price. there are more tradie tool shops out there like toolmart and glenfords tool center and there will probably be a few other local outlets around, you will know them when you walk in there will actually be service there unlike bunnings and they will know there stuff.
jaycar is generally a good hobby electronics store and yes i dont think much of dickys either. if your into the more professional stuff google farnell in one and rs components,
good luck
Stu

Robb

Posted: 11:37pm 23 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try Rockby & Altronics

Check out industrial supply stores for tools.

Fitting in to the Aussie way of life... The term redneck has negative connotations down under so an alternative term may help Edited by Robb 2009-09-25

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:52pm 23 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jesse

Jaycar is good, as well as Altronics if you can find a store near you. Dick Smith was good once, but its headed in a different direction the last few years, instead of electronics for hobbyists, its now into TV's, computers and other mainstream stuff, a shame in my opinion.

We also have Tandy ( Radioshack ) in Australia, which might be familiar.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Barry T Coles

Posted: 01:08am 24 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jesse Welcome to Oz.
Here's a link to the Jaycar stores Stu mentioned.

Thanks for the tip on Jaycar Stu, I live in the North West & when I get to Perth I have a hell of a time trying to find decent electrical parts retailers

http://www.jaycar.com.au/stores.asp

Cheers
Barry
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

greendreamin

Posted: 09:38am 24 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Barry T Coles said  
Thanks for the tip on Jaycar Stu, I live in the North West & when I get to Perth I have a hell of a time trying to find decent electrical parts retailers

http://www.jaycar.com.au/stores.asp

Cheers
Barry

yeah if you need anything else in the auto electrical line cable or others, HD alternators what ever let me know im an auto electrican in construction and mining so can get you some good prices
Stu

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024