Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:26 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 2v deep cycle batteries

nobbie

Posted: 10:25am 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi all great site,
so does anybody know how does epsom salts and other additives go in batteries to rejuvenate them,does it help or just kill them faster.i have a 24 v system with 20 amps of solar panels and two chinese 500 watters for the winter down here in tassie.
thanks in advance

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 10:33am 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

there is an article on rebuilding batteries on the homepage
Luck favours the well prepared

nobbie

Posted: 10:48am 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i found it,thanks
looks like my back may be aching soon as they are heavy bbloody things,oh well only 52 to go...

Barry T Coles

Posted: 06:18am 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This may be worth a look.
Cheers
Barry

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/desulphating.htm
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

nobbie

Posted: 09:10pm 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks barry,
it sure sounds like an easier way to try.
they were ex mine loco batteries and with todays prices i would hate tohave to replace them.
now to find a 24v powered desulphator..

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:37pm 09 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Nobbie

Try this site www.infinetumstore.com I am at present trialing some of their products with Australian agency in mind the results so far are positive but not conclusive, works OK on a singlr battery situation but not yet proved on a battery bank, would work OK if you seperate and do initial desulphation on a single unit or 12 volt or 24 combo but on a bank it is slow and dependent on coupling of cells as in lead resistance / capacitence and terminal corrosion.

Heaps better than chemical intervention that does more harm in the long term.
If you go for a desulphator once you do all batteries seperately leave the unit on permenently as close to the electrical center of the bank as possible. you can do each battery without removing from the bank by connection across the voltage combo of cells then move to the next one after a week or so. Not the best in theory but works slowly in practice.
I have revived batteries that show as low as 7 volt and sitting for some months, watch for cell activity in electrolite to get an idea of cell behaviour {5 bubbling and one not means dead cell usually} charge for 24 hrs then do a preliminary load test with 150 watt load {3 globes}should hold around 12 v for 10 min at least if it is around 10 volts you have confirmed a dead cell, same applies to other voltages in proportion.

Hope this helps

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

nobbie

Posted: 10:18pm 10 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks bob,
i purchased a 12 volt unit yesterday,it is good for 300 amp hr batteries where as mine are around 900s i think.
they measure 150 by 150 by approx 600 deep.
i will try the smaller unit and if it doesnt work i shall simply repair smaller batteries.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:00am 11 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Nobbie

I initially tried one of those and it worked OK on car and light truck batteries but died within hours of connecting to the main bank 1000 ah 24v so that is why I went for the bigger unit, but it proved the concept and that was the main thing, let me know how you go with it as it should do it but my experience says to leave it on each 12 volt for at least two weeks. I ff you can get another one and put it across the second set you could do 24 volt at once but remember they are fragile on such large capacity batteries, yours could be 500 amp hr from the size you quote try a google on them if you can find maker and ID on them anywhere.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024