Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:48 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : looking for a treadle powered generator

kimk

Posted: 05:49am 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I'm not skilled at building sustainable energy machines yet and am hindered by my writing schedule to have time to learn. I would absolutely love to have a treadle powered electric generator though. Preferably something like a sewing machine treadle attached to a desk or just underfoot comfortably while sitting. I really want to live with zero fossil fuel use, but am unable to at this point due to my need to use the computer most of the day. (I can't afford that much solar right now and don't have high enough sun to make it feasible and live in a forested area.) Would someone have the know-how, time and passion to make something like this, perhaps with a smartdrive? Let me know and how much you would need for a working model.
Thanks for considering!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:28am 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you seen our pedal power page?

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/articles/PedalPower.asp

There is a link to commercial units on that page too.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

kimk

Posted: 06:43am 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thank you for responding Glenn. Yes, I saw those, which are still a little highly priced. But I was thinking more of a "treadle" than a bicycle pedal. It would be much easier to sustain with a decent posture while working on a computer because you can sit more upright with your foot on the ground. Pedaling a bicycle puts you in a very bad posture for computer work.

Perhaps I can find someone local to figure out how to attach a smart drive generator to an old sewing machine treadle and see how that works? I just don't know enough to put the pieces together myself. The smart drive generator also seems to be designed for a wind turbine, so I'm not sure how it translates to a sewing machine treadle.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:58am 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dont think you would generate much power with the low speed and limited pedal rate Vs effort.
What would you hope to do with the power that you did generate?

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

kimk

Posted: 03:00pm 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hm. I see. I was just going to explore what would be generated if I used it 3-4 hours a day while I was working on my computer. I saw this video that a guy set up and used it to power several things at a desk, so I wondered, how it would help generate power if used consistently over time as riding a bicycle would just not work for me while I'm doing other things. I think I could handle a treadle though. If it could generate enough for at least 1/2 a day of laptop use, it might be useful. Do you think a small wind turbine would be more appropriate? I don't think I could put one above tree level where I'm at, but I could feasibly put one one about 8-10' high on the roof I think.

See the treadle desk generator here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIawf4aRdgQ

kimk

Posted: 03:01pm 13 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, also, here's a patent for a treadle desk, but it speaks in a language that is difficult for me to interpret. I need pictures.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0260548.html

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:15am 14 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That was an interesting video clip. I don't think I could work the treadle, write, think and not keep time with the music. I think I'd ball it up sooner if not later.

The idea is great, the application is low voltage. It might be easier to use a bicycle arrangement with pedals connected to a flywheel, so when you needed to rest, the momentum would keep things going a bit while you adjusted your position in your chair or whatever.

Maybe a pedal arrangement like that used in children's self-powered toy cars might be better. They are more of the push-forward type of pedaling. You would be using your seat as an anchor point and pushing forward driving the generator mechanism instead of being locked into a circular movement where your knees might bounce against the bottom against the table.

I think working a treadle would last about five minutes before I started going nuts!
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:37am 14 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It gets me the amount of waffle some write in a patent idea. Do these people have a dream one night and then register it the next day as a patent.
I think he sums it up by quoting ---- ""Such electronic circuitry would be apparent to one of skill in the art, "" This was referring to a rectifier and capacitor.

The fun of these projects is in the building of them and this makes the effort of using it feel more worth while.
I think you will find most people on the 4m build things for their own use and help others with building their own projects but not actually build these things for sale. If we did the time and effort that goes into it would out price the average buyer.

Good luck

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

kimk

Posted: 06:19am 14 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, this seems to be a complicated simple idea!

Perhaps (San Diego reference)I should focus more on building a desk that would allow a decent seating posture while pedaling and not bouncing the knees under the keyboard area while typing! hah! I'll let you know if I come up with something. I'm better with structural design than energy contraptions.

Have a great week all!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024