Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:45 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Power upset on New Years Day

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:29am 02 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guys,
I was sitting back on new years day suckin back a few cold ones when I asked my son to throw the tv on so we could watch the news. all of a sudden the power went out and the inverter wouldn't start back up. I went out to the RE shed straight away to find the inverter blinking while trying to start. So I turned everything off then all of a sudden the FM60 kicked back to life. I pulled the fuses out then saw the positive input connections had fried. I didnt take a pic of the burnt connections but the pic below of the fuse connector says it all.

I decided to make a new junction block so only a bussbar and the positive inverter lead was on the input to the fuse mount. The junction block is 1/2" brass and the bussbar is 3mm brass plate. I tapped M6 holes in the junction block to take any power inputs then used self amalgamating tape over the bussbar and around the junction block, then pvc tape over to secure the sealing tape.

All re-assembled and ready to turn on

When I re-connected the FM60 and put the fuses back in the FM60 came to life in sleep mode. As soon as I turned the PV input on the FM60 came to life and everything was fixed.

Now the cause of the problem was 4 connections on the positive side of the fuse box. I have a 24 volt array so one can image the current going thru those connections. I was very lucky the fuses blew which saved all my RE gear. Without fuses I would of lost everything, so I can't stress the importance of ensuring the connections for the inverter are solid so the high current requirements of the inverter won't cause the same problems I had. Just using what you have onhand isn't always the best practice.

My next job is disposing of the negative rats nest doing similar to above.

Cheers Bryan

oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:20am 02 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is that good bad luck, or bad good luck?
At least it is back to normal without too many tears.

My pure sine wave 2.5kw inverter is 96v (rescued it from the tip), and although it is a bugger of a battery voltage, at least it is only 11 amps per kw.

I've yet to graft it into the system full time, but I will take note of your little disaster when I do.

..........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024