Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:42 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Wind and solar power street lights!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:27am 07 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I noticed this at a new intersection in town.

Its a wind turbine and solar panels on a street light. Down the road are several more street lights, but with only solar panels. The street lights are high power LED's

I'll be interested to see how they go.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 06:43am 07 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

There are 2 identical units at the ferry crossing at Wellington, on the Eastern side. They rust quite quickly. The solar seems to provide most of the battery recharging, as the windmills spend a lot of time spinning slowly, even in windy conditions..ļ

The LED's provide reasonable light, but not like a normal street light.

There is a park in Brisbane with a completely Solar powered barbeque facility. All the hotplates and lights are battery powered, and solar recharged. They worked well. I have some photos on the phone and can post them if readers wish to see them.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 07 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

It would be nice to see them. Here in Romania those installations could disappear in seconds, you only need to turn your head in another direction to let them magically vanish...

VasiEdited by vasi 2010-01-08
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

AMUN-RA

Posted: 05:20am 10 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here Is one of 6 I installed at western lions park Townsville
these lights are very bright & run for 6 hour after sun down & 2 hours before sun up there is 1m3 of concrete in each footing for the wind rating in townsville bit of a headache but in the end a great project
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 05:08am 16 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That mill is the new type available from Jaycar
300W at 12m/s for a diameter of 1.5m and max output of 500W at 15m/s, that makes (in my book) rather an expensive toy at $679.

I'd imagine a more realistic 6m/s would provide 50W if you were lucky......

I see in melbourne a rutland type generator on the roadside electronic signs, thought it was nice but barely enough to keep it running on cloudy days, tower about 5m high, telescopic thing, it was a really neat job though.
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024