Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:28 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Soft Iron Laminate

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 01:43am 27 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Besides dumpster diving for used transformers, does anyone have a source for soft, grain-oriented iron laminate to be used in making a windmill generator?

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:38am 27 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Depending on the size required you might get away with the coil laminates out of a old lawn mower or stationary motor as they are exactly what i think you are doing.
Also they are made in an arc as you need.
If you fashon the magnet dia the same as the original flywheel all should be correct in clearance.

Some are internal to the flywheel and some are external to the flywheel.
You would want the external ones.
I think Briggs and Stratton are external??????

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 27 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe not grain oriented but I have made iron 'rings' to attach the magnets from the tie strips used in framed buildings. These come stamped with nail holes or plain, are about 30mm wide, 1mm thick and quite long. They are zinc plated, if electrical insulation is required just paint or stick together with epoxy resin, etc.

Nice thing is you can make any diameter you like, and as many layers. If the ring has to fit precisely inside a housing its best to make nesting single layer rings, rather than one continuous spiral. Build it from the outside in in this case.
Klaus

oztules

Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 27 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are a few tons available in one of these if you stumble on one in your travels..... theres one outside my door actually.......

Microwave oven transformers are useful for laminates. Should be plenty of these available over there.

You need to be decent grade poor conducting steel to get the eddy currents down to reasonable levels.

Tinker, I think that that stuff and banding strip are good looking substitutes.... but are very average performers. They were tried with single disk axial flux machines before the dual rotor became common... they do still work to converge the flux.... but are very lossy as the frequency increases.

Insulated steel wire (or tomato wire thrown in a fire to rid the zinc and then left to rust in the weather) does a fair job in this application as well.... the rust is the insulator in this case

.............oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024