Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:31 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Windspire’s Ax-Fx Stator

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:42am 06 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was clicking around the Internet looking at VAWT systems and ran across THIS from the Windspire Company.

Click the link and move down the PDF to just past half way and you'll see a very interesting way to wind the stator. I'm no expert on generators for sure, but it looks to me like it's one very long undulating coil, which if I'm not mistaken, will produce high voltage in low wind and even higher in high wind. This is "my" assumption, so if it's wrong, someone chime in and make the correction so others aren't led astray, please.

At any rate, I thought it was a clever adaptation to the biggest downfall over VAWTs, that being they are not nearly as fast as HAWTs in the same wind. For all the "un-luck" I've had with VAWTs, you'd think I would have by now washed my hands of it. Believe me, I've tried, but I'm still intrigued by their simplicity.

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 05:08am 06 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day MacGyver,
To me that picture shows 3 stators and it does look like each stator is wave wound as there is only 2 wires coming of each stator. I reckon they would skew each stator to make the aircoil axfx. This is in my opinion just the same as winding each coil then joining them but the way they have done it does look cool and a reverse engineering project might have to be taken by someone not so evil just so those conniving devils can take a shot at a later date.

Cheers Mutley...

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 06:05am 06 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mutley

It looks to me like each of the three coil arrays shown in the picture are separate, complete windings as I see two end wires from each array. If they were to use all three coils, they would have to have 6 plates of rotating magnets, a pair for each coil. That seems to me to be 3-phase the hard way. But, like I said, I'm no expert.

They go out of their way to say it's a "low-speed" generator, so more windings per coil array makes sense. I've watched videos of these things and they seem to spin no more than about 200 rpm even in heavy wind. I just counted the spins and timed it for 15 seconds to come up with that number, by the way.

Somewhere in my reading or video-watching, it seems to me they said the Windspire produced only one kilowatt per year. That's a bit discouraging. I'm hoping it was a statement made in error.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

oztules

Guru

Posted: 07:28am 06 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Three single phase skein windings. The same as the standard axial flux except that three single phase rotors are required, and you split your magnet resources and engineering over a larger area.

I can't see any advantage over the usual separate coil design, other than doing the same thing different. Windstuff uses this technique for his educational kits I think... but really only a novelty. It's one advantage may be to spread out the power losses over a larger area, but the disadvantages of using three stators and 4 magnet disks out weighs that advantage.

Using the same magnet mass and putting it on 2 larger disks to accommodate the extra magnets, you should get 4 times the power than for roughly the same resources.... and 10 times simpler to build and assemble.

The voltage argument is a non event. You can have any voltage you wish with either winding scheme. Power will be better E^2 R better (4 times) for the normal system for the same losses as this one. ((EX2 )^2) for the same R)

.........oztules

Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

GWatPE

Posted: 11:08am 06 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only way to improve on the coils, and windings, is to wind in such a way to have minimal air in the space between the magnets. All the volume contains the conductors, and there is no space between the magnets either.[As in segmented magnets] A slight increase in wire length is required per wire cut, but much more complicated winding. My original stator has these attributes. I have said on occasions, that I would not go this way again, but it may be possible to make a machine to do it. Interlocking coils is the ultimate go. A stator can be wound with approx 40% lower resistance, for the same magnet air gap. I just use bigger magnets, and simple round coils now.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024