Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:51 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Any fuel cell guys out there?

Perry

Posted: 11:54am 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all,
Before I had this crazy wind turbine hobby I worked with hydrogen fuel cells. I built this 50 sq cm test fixture as part of a bipolar plate optimization project, Thought I would pass it along.

Perry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA0y85Urttc

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very clever Perry.
Nice work too.
What did you do with it in the end, Did you take the work any further.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Perry

Posted: 04:34am 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Pete,
I got out of fuel cells as a career about 4 years ago. I just found the fixture in the closet and made that video. It was from the heady days of a research budget and it cost about $3k to make.
I made it to evaluate different MEA's and composite bipolar plate material. We had an awesome staffed CNC machine shop and I could just design things in CAD and have them made.
Maybe there will be a future for fuel cells but they will have to find a way to cheaply create hydrogen first.

Perry

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 06:05am 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nice
Luck favours the well prepared

GWatPE

Posted: 10:54am 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suspect that the technology is there to make hydrogen from wind power, at the source, and pipe hydrogen, instead of electricity. Hydrogen can be stored in conventional pressure vessels, or reticulated to fuel outlets in the cities. The base load problem would be eliminated, with a storage that did not age like a battery, or the grid with no real storage.

I suppose we need to lobby the local member of parliament to get the wheels to turn.

Gordon.

PS:- Oztules could add making and storing hydrogen to his to do list.
become more energy aware

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do like the idea of hydrogen but also find it strange that we look towards a source that is becomming scarce in many parts of the world to.
It would seem water is becoming a sort after commodity without being the next fuel source as well.

As the air becomes more polluted in coming years it might be we are more interested in the oxygen than the hydrogen.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024