Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:51 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : coil winding

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:17am 23 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

had ago at winding a radio coil.

Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:42am 23 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice job Bruce. Whats it for, a crystal set?

I built a crystal set a couple of years ago, just for fun. I'll take a photo but its packed away. I still remember my first crystal set I had when I was a child.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 09:35pm 23 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce,

You may ge able to wind the wire more accurately by first cutting a thread slot into the former first. I am not sure if your lathe has thread cutting facilities.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:13pm 23 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to feed a length of string beside the wire, to give a even spacing. Then unwind the string once the wire was secured. A little varnish will hold it all in place.

Building a crystal set is one future project I have for thebackshed. Its kind of a renewable project , using radio waves instead of solar or wind.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 23 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good on you Bruce
I did build crystal set when l was 12 years old using war aircraft headphone that around 1958 using wireless gang, cardboard tube,and brought back lovely memory at this time my hearing was good and now l am deaf with 80% loss and can't hear my own voice think getting Cochlear implant so yes Glenn let have new kind of project bulding a crystal set
Dwyer

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:32am 24 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I to had built one back in high school, I remember winding the wire around a piece of PVC pipe, we put a twist in the wire every so many turns to give different tap points for the coil.

I lived in a country area then and there was only 1 station strong enough in signal to be picked up. ABC i think it was.

The Germanium diodes are getting hard to find nowdays and not many places stock them.
I was told recently that germanium diodes are no longer made anywhere, and its only the stock that is remaining thoughout the world.
I understand they have not been produced for over 10 years now.
I had required one for a different project recently and had to look hard to locate some.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024