Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:48 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 24 volt water pump??

birdhouse

Posted: 04:48am 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hello all-
been looking around the internet for a small 24 volt water pump, and realized they are spendy! best i could find was a sureflo 3.0 GPM for a hundred and some odd dollars (US)

all i really need is 1 GPM or even 1/2 GPPM. any sources for cheap good 24 volt pumps? (yes i know i want it all)

thanks!
birdhouse
i pee more than once before flushing, and don't have to flush at all up at the ranch!

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:54am 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What about low voltage pond pumps or bilge pumps??

What sort of head do it need to push up.

Pete

Sometimes it just works

birdhouse

Posted: 11:19am 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pete-
thanks for the reply. less then 10 foot of head. is it a really bad idea to run two twelve volt pumps wired in series? even if they each have their own hose?

i catch rainwater in a 1550 gal tank then need to pump it into a 55 gal barrel to get usable pressure out of it.

thanks
birdhouse
i pee more than once before flushing, and don't have to flush at all up at the ranch!

GreenD88

Posted: 03:07pm 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

24v Water Pump - 24VDC

Ebay Description: $24.95 + Shipping ($7 for me)
Salvaged from equipment which was built/Tested but never sold. Only ran during testing.
At 3.5 GPM Total Head = 4.8 Feet, Current draw = 0.710 amps
At 1.0 GPM Total Head = 10.9 Feet, Current draw = 0.545 amps
Peak eff of 24.93% at 2.20 GPM
Gorman-Rupp Industries Pump
24VDC
Continuous rating, Direct drive

Any new pump is gonna cost an arm an a leg unless you build it yourself. Say use a 24v Cordless drill wire it up and take one of those $5 Centrifugal Pumps and your set to go.

Edit: Found a better one 23Hour left on bid no bids $25 Buy It now option $50.

FlowJet 2100-12 Feshwater Pump 24vEdited by GreenD88 2010-04-07
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

birdhouse

Posted: 03:18pm 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks green! i may just have to pick one of those up! it's either that, or run a cheapy 110 pump off the inverter. seems better to go 24 volt direct!

birdhouse

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:26pm 05 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see no real reason 2 x 12v in series would not work but would be a last resort if you have to.
If i had 2 lying around doing nothing than i would give them a go.

Looks like GreenD88 is onto the right gear above.

Is it a direct vertical lift you need to do, or a sloping rise.

The reason i ask is with a direct vertical lift you can use a tube and a small air pump like an aquarium pump and inject a air bubble into the column of water in the tube, and it will lift the column of water up into the tank.
Its not a huge amount each time but running all day it will move a lot of water and running costs are very small.

Just a thought.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 05:08pm 06 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another thought along simplistic lines would be to construct a direct-drive peristaltic pump using surgical tubing. I make these often and use them in reverse as "air" engines.

The first one is kinda tricky, but after you get the hang of it, the following builds are a snap. If you want particulars, email me or PM me and I'll tell you how I build mine. I use plastic blocks, sealed ball bearings and a lathe. You gotta have or have use of a lathe for this one.

A peristaltic pump will move little chunks of water through a hose and can pump to incredible head pressures, depending on the wall thickness of the tubing you use. Of course, the thicker the tubing wall, the more power it takes to compress it, but if you're using 24-volt motors, it's in the bag!

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 06:06pm 06 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mac,

Why not use a push bike tube instead of surgical rubber?

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

birdhouse

Posted: 11:16pm 06 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

those do all sound like fun projects!, but i went with the 24.95 e-bay special. shipping was only 5.70! should be here in a few days! i like the idea of throwing a switch and having it run.

thanks all for the input!

birdhouse

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:14am 07 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[Quote=Downwind]Mac,

Why not use a push bike tube instead of surgical rubber?

Pete.

Memory!

Surgical tubing has good memory; when you squish it flat, it returns to nearly 100% of its original shape and size immediately.

The little wheel inside a peristaltic pump pushes a bolus of liquid ahead of the squashed portion and as the wheel passes away from the wall of the pump, the "memory" creates a tiny suction, refilling the cavity as it awaits the cyclic return of the little wheel and it all happens again and again.

By push bike tube, I'm thinking you mean a bicycle inner-tube and those things lie flat unless they have internal pressure to hold them round. If you mean something else, you'll have to re-post it, because I'm not from where you're from and there's likely a language barrier at work here!

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024