Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:35 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : how many amps can i get out of this motor

murdoc

Posted: 11:49pm 07 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got this DC motor from a treadmill, its 130vdc 6700rpm 18amps 2.50hp. I was thinking about using it for a pedal generator or windmill. How many amps can I get out of this?

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 07:02am 08 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How hard can you pedal?

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

birdhouse

Posted: 02:36pm 08 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

murdoc-
i'm unsure of the power you'd be able to get from your motor, however it may be better suited for a pedal gen than a wind gen. you could get charging cut in for 12 volt at 600-700 rpm. thats pretty high for a wind gen! you could gear it right for the pedal gen though. look for more motors with higher volts or lower rpm. high amp ratings are good too! 3 phase ac pm servo motors are good for first gens. good luck! let us know how your project works!

birdhouse
i pee more than once before flushing, and don't have to flush at all up at the ranch!

murdoc

Posted: 12:24am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can get about 12.6 to 13.6 volts with it on the 21st gear last one on my bike.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:49am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the load you have attached when you get that sort of voltage.

Just spinning the motor and reading volts dont mean real much.

It is better to connect it to a battery (with a blocking diode) or a 12 volt load then spin the motor and see what you get out.

A generator is like pedaling your bike, its much different when the bike is on the ground with load compared to up in the air with no load.
In the air you can spin the wheel to increadiable speeds with little effort but try to do that on the ground.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024