Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:57 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Mackay "Aussie Innovations"

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:15am 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys

Here in Mackay Queensland Australia we have a Ecoexpo coming up in June. Its a chance for local "green" groups and businesses to get together and show their stuff to the general public.

This year the the Ecoexpo is having a competition........

A1 Battery Pro ‘Aussie Innovations’ Competition
Men in sheds bare all…
Attention all Aussie inventors - enter your own back shed inventions in the Aussie Innovations competition at the Ecoexpo Mackay 2010, to be held June 6, 2010 at Queens Park.

Guidelines for entry:
1. Inventions must include at least 75% recycled material
2. Inventions must have a useful function
3. Inventions must be environmentally responsible
4. All entries, with entry form, must be brought to Ecoexpo Mackay in Queen’s Park by 10am, June 6
5. Judging will be by popular vote on the day

Prize will be a 40 Watt Suntech Solar Panel donated by A1 Battery Pro

If you are in the Mackay region and interested in participating, you can find out more information by contacting Brooke McReynolds at mcgmail@bigpond.com

I'll post more info as the event gets closer. I wont be able to contribute much at this event, which is a shame but I just dont have the time. But I will be there to mingle and I'm pretty sure Trev will be setting up a stall at the event too, so you could drop in and see him.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Jarbar

Posted: 10:47am 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Glenn,
a similar thought had entered my head recently.And that was to expose Men's Sheds to the concepts of DIY windmill making.This event would be a great way to introduce them to The Back Shed and all it has to offer.And then expand it to the hundreds of other Men's Sheds around Australia.

Good luck.

Anthony.
"Creativity is detirmined by the way you hold your tounge".My Father
"Your generation will have to correct the problems made by mine".My Grandfather.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:53am 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a good idea Jarbar, I'll look them up.

Here's a brochure for the upcoming event, I'll add this to the main site in the next few days.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:04pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I run a search on Mens sheds to see what they were up to, and all i got was support groups for men and information on Prostate cancer etc.

Not quite the shed group i was looking to find.

Is there a mens shed group that actually build things and do the average shed activitys with tools and stuff, instead of holding hands with each other.

If anyone has a link to a mens shed work group (not hand holders) could they post the link.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:26pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here you go Pete.

http://www.mensshed.org/page7859/Home.aspx

Its a great idea.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:14pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn,

After having a look it is a wonderful idea the Mens Shed, but i think im still about 20 years to early for that group.
I guess you all will have to put up with me here a little longer.

I had hoped their web site would have shown some of the projects in some detail that the members had constructed, but was unable to find that information.

I tried a search of local groups to my area and it took forever and found nothing.

O-Well back to my own back shed for now.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo And Downwind

Perhaps we should start a mens sheds thread and get a few photos of our members sheds and some of the things we are playing with.

Might make clean up the shed a bit if I had to put a photo or two on the forum.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 22 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob.

Hmmm not sure on that, as Gizmo has not got a shed at the moment and for me it will need to be "What member has the messiest shed"
A few of us posted the clutter on our work benches some time back but it never really took off.

I go to a lot of houses with work and see garages full of all the latest tools and toys still in their boxes stacked neatly on shelving, and im there doing jobs that they bought all the toys to do it with.

Then my shed is always a mess with 10 projects on the go at any one time and a power of things being done with crap every where.

I have a theory nothing gets done in a tidy home workshop!
Along with the more toys you have the less that you use them.

Now a thread on the most useless tool you have ever bought could be interesting.
I still dont understand why the metric shifting spanner never really took off.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:59pm 31 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a reminder, if your near Mackay Queensland Australia, the EcoExpo is on this weekend. Trev will have a display there.

Glenn
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:57am 01 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete et al,

The bigger the shed the bigger the mess and the less room to work.
But its true that the cleanest workshops are the less interesting, mine even has a family? of brown snakes that put up my presence in their world but they are good at keeping the mice in check just have to watch where you walk in the hot weather, four possums that sh*t on everything {could qualify as politicians} and knock things over in the night, and a family of owl's that sit on the trusses and watch the fool hurt himself and break things during the day, I also have a orange colored snake that makes noises that I cant find in any snake books.
One advantage of the shed snake skins is it keeps the wife from being to curious about whats in the shed.

Never a dull moment in my shed even when I'm not there.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:11am 06 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The EcoExpo was today so I took myself off to have a look.

Trev was there with his EV, one of his windmills and other goodies.

A lot of interest in his electric ute. I'm keen to do a ev conversion one day, might start with the lawn mower

There were a dozen or so displays at the event, worth a look, I even got to see a hairy nose wombat up close.

Glenn
JAQ

oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:01am 06 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have hundreds of wombats, and an EV..... and I use the term very loosely... so I stayed home

.............oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 10:24am 06 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As long as you dont have a loose wombat in the EV.

Then Wombat would be a fitting discription for your EV.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 07:37pm 06 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[Quote=Downwind]I have a theory nothing gets done in a tidy home workshop!

Wouldn't you know I'd be the exception! I think I'm king of the neat freaks. I even run the shop vac after about every third cut on the lathe or drill press.

How many "guys" do you know who do their own laundry and after eating, actually get up from the table, wash, dry and put away their plate, glass and silverware? You should see how I cook; that'd really drive you nuts. When the meal is ready to eat, the kitchen and everything in it is spotless!

Also, how many of the rest of the crew make their bed up when they get out of it in the morning? See what I mean? Hell, who needs a wife?

I actually find being neat and tidy 'increases' my production. I know I don't fit the mold; hey, it's not easy being me!

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:49am 07 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn for running this thread.

The last month has been very tiresome.
Teaching, and organising new tools and machines for our new Trade Training Centre. We started moving in today.
Still renovating the old Foundry space for Marcy's Live by Nature Clinic (its almost ready to move in). I have made a new foundry space.
Organising the Eco Expo display. Hours of thought and work. Too many possible options.
And keeping Drive by Nature customers happy.

Just hav'n too much fun

The Eco Exo. We had all the gear loaded and tied on already. Left home soon after it started getting light, the sun had not yet come over the mountain. Mackay is our ususal drive in the EV Hilux, about 45km to Queens Park.

The marquee is very quick to put up, then there was the solar frames and fitting solar panels. Run the wires through the roof and a gust of wind picked up the marquee tipping it over. The solar panels went crash onto the back of the Hilux. Thankfully no solar panel damage. The only damage was the leg in the corner under the solar panels.

It was a quick reaction to grab the marquee and pull it back and then hold it down and tie it to the trees there. Our neigbour exhibition (James, who used to own EV Blade Runner - sad story) kindly loaned his Hilux ute also to tie to. (He did not have a marquee).

That sorted, we then finished setting up. We had everything set up in reasonable time. The solar setup with Thundersky Lithium Batteries, a fully functioning system, complete with inverter to run my laptop and TV screen with a slide show (took me forever to create that slide show), but was well worth the effort. The windmill was shorted inside, just a display, but caught the eye. It drew a lot of people.

When they discovered that the Hilux was Electric, the excitement just grew. I was not far from the Toyota stand showing the new Camry Hybrid. Ford were supposed to be there as well, but I did not see them. There was so much interest. Some visiters came back several times bringing others with them.

It was a really great day. I was very tired of talking by the end of the day. Marcy was too. The people from the conservation stand came over as we were packing up. They said that our stand attracted the most amount of people. I had 50 or so business cards (all gone) and there were way more people than that.

We arrived home in the dark, with one small wire losing contact to the speed controller just a few Kilometers from home. It was hard to find in the dark, but after fixing it, all is good again.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:00am 08 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev

Good Job, glad to hear you had a productive time at the Expo, nice setup and it actually demonstrated the concept working.
Glad to hear that you stole some of the thunder from Toyota as well,shows that Aussie innovation can compete with the big boys, would have been good if ford was there as well to add a bit more interest

Are they going to do this on a annual basis?

What was the quality of other sites like? Was there a predominance of solar products and small grid connect systems.

All in all a great job.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024