Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:45 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Wind-Powered Car

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 02:54am 25 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A few months ago I posted an article about a Blowcart and thought I'd like to get one. It looks like more fun than should be legal.

On second thought and being 61 (though in fairly great shape for my age!) I decided maybe I might not bounce as well as I did 40 years ago, so instead of a blowcart I came up with my own version. In keeping with my ever-constant vigil to come up with weirder and weirder toys here's what resulted:

It's radio controlled and is about three feet long; the mast is also about three feet tall. I had a friend (sailmaker by trade) whip me up a Dacron sail and away it goes.

The two front wheels (inline skate wheels with dandy sealed ball bearings) are on the same axle and the rear wheel is hooked to a single "servo" motor through a linkage under the craft. I design, build and fly R/C gliders for fun and games too. I use a 2.4 GHz transmitter, which is "paired" to a receiver out of one of my planes. All the electronics are mounted to the aluminum deck using double-sided tape. The body of the craft is manufactured out of tempered aluminum plate pop-riveted to aluminum tubes (similar to the ones I use in my windmill blades). The picture above shows the flight battery (power source), 2.4 GHz receiver, on-off switch and direction control servo (which hooks to the rear wheel via a linkage under the rear deck plate).

Here's a view of stuff from the top:

It scoots along at around 30 miles per hour in a stiff breeze. It uses the theory of "apparent wind" which allows it to go several times the speed of the wind on a reach (sailing across the wind with the breeze coming from either front quarter). The sail rides in a close-hauled position, which means you have to pay attention whe you're turning at high speed or the thing tumbles (not pretty!).

Here in the last shot it sails off into the sunset (more or less). The only "problem" so far is peoples' dogs like to chase it. None have caught it to date by the way. It can out-run most dogs without even trying!

And no, the skid marks were not me; they were made by someone else's toy!

UPDATE 04-27-2010:

Oops!

I kinda wondered how long that tempered aluminum would last.
Now I know. The next one will be made of steel!

Here's another view:

At 30 miles per hour, it bent along my original crease . . . back
to the drawing board!

. . . . . Mac

Edited by MacGyver 2010-04-29
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

oztules

Guru

Posted: 08:21am 25 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now your having just too much fun.... and without the bandages.

Thanks for the pictures of this toy....way cool.

...........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 08:21am 25 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mack

Looks good mate now the next one I want to see is on top of the F100.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024