Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:10 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : " DANGER COULD BE ON THE HORIZON "

Page 2 of 2    
VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:08am 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Reading the gloom and doom report attached to Green88 post it makes me wonder how the oxygen needed for this to happen is going down to the sea floor to support the explosion, a surface burn I could believe if the levels go to 15% but not an explosion in the sea floor, what do you think Pete as you are our resident oil man.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:29am 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have not read the article but agree the ignition point would have to had come from surface and a flash back resulting in the sub sea explosion.

As i said before (and why i dont read the articles) is the information presented is a point of view and not the real facts.
These operations are conducted on a simular level to military with information blackouts.

They want something to report so they are given some BS to squeeze a report out of.

Then you have some keyboard jockey beating a drum of what will sell his report.

We often see how the media reports has little to do with the actual truth in lots of other situations and this is just the same.
You guys want something to read so they give you that...just dont belive it as true facts.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

GreenD88

Posted: 10:13am 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The way I understand the article(s) I've read so far on it. It wouldn't really be an Fire Explosion more or less it's a pressure time bomb waiting to go off. Many of the articles state that the area that was drilled contained a giant pocket of methane under the sea bed at extremely high pressures. They think that the bed will give way and release this all at once creating a giant bubble of methane that will displace alot of water causing tsunami's and once it reaches the surface will instantly sink any ships in the vicinity and kill anyone within a certain range from asphyxiation. Only after it has surfaced and mixed with oxygen would their be an explosion risk. By then most of the damage would already be done. If something does happen then theres not a whole lot that can be done about it anyways except evacuation. But then again it might all be hype to get grants or cause a panic.Edited by GreenD88 2010-07-01
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

Redman

Posted: 12:27pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I seriously doubt it.

Most of Bass Straits gas fields are from a stepped, fractured pliable mud. If you want to see some of it go to point roadnight. There in the wall on the beach is the very same stuff our gas is coming from.

Gas under 5 kl of water is never going to shift and pop like a baloon. The very worst case would be a mud geyser like Indonesia but even then the gases would instantly dissolve into solution because it has what is it? 6 tonnes of pressure per cm^3 pressing against it.

The press / wakjobs that wrote this are comparing it to the African lake that burped I feel.

There is a lake in Congo? That for whatever reason released its volcanic origin CO2 dissolved in solution. Basically it was a giant soda bottle. When it did that everything suffocated for several kilometers.

Even though its deep its not 5 kl deep. IIRC its only 800 meters deep.
Volcanic lake
C02
Burp..

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:15pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gas from mud?? thats a new one to me.

Wells are drilled with a drilling mud but the formations are not mud.

The deeper a well goes the harder the formations get.

It might have been mud a few million years ago but i asure you it is not mud now.
The mass pressures applied to the depths we get oil and gas from would not support mud.

Here is a photo of a core sample recovered from 5000 feet beneath surface, it was from a oil bearing formation, but what would be considered a tight formation.

As you can see it is not mud and is a hard rock, it may well have been mud some million or 10 years ago.

Although Redman the rest of your post i agree with you on.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 05:29pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I culled this out of a BP ROV presentation (the link from someone here):

"For the last 12 hours on June 28 (noon to midnight), approximately 8,290 barrels of oil were collected and approximately 4,035 barrels of oil and 28.5 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared."

My question is, what does this part mean: and 28.5 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared?

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 09:01pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An Observation

Using this Link I observe two things, which disturb me aside from the 'obvious':

First off there's a yellow metal wand set across the near side of the flow, which seems to be injecting a gas into the flow. My assumption is this is assisting somehow in determining perhaps the flow rate. I dunno; I'm a plumber and not an engineer or oil man like Pete. Could this be the source of "gas bubbles" at the surface? I used to be a diver and I know a bubble the size of a marble at a depth of 5,000 feet will expand to be as big as a house a mile up on the surface. Hmmmmmm . . .

Another observation is that both that yellow wand and another fin-looking thing to the right side seem to be waving as if responding to swells. Are swells even posible at 5,000 feet? I always thought "swells" were a surface phenomenon. Anybody?

One last thing. If you're reading this thread and it's more than a day old and you don't see any of this in the link posted, it's likely because the picture has changed as this link is to a "Live Feed" and as such will surely change daily.

Excuse me, while I dawn my JAFO hat (Blue Thunder movie). Oh, that? Yeah, JAFO stands for Just Another ******* Observer!

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

GreenD88

Posted: 10:17pm 30 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said   I culled this out of a BP ROV presentation (the link from someone here):

"For the last 12 hours on June 28 (noon to midnight), approximately 8,290 barrels of oil were collected and approximately 4,035 barrels of oil and 28.5 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared."

My question is, what does this part mean: and 28.5 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared?

. . . . . Mac

Over 40% of the stuff coming out of the well is Natural gas and other chemicals and only around 60% is actually oil. And I think the yellow wand is used to inject methanol and dispersants, to help keep hydrides or hydrates from clogging up the riser. Can't remember which one though lol.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:31am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote]My question is, what does this part mean: and 28.5 million cubic feet of natural gas were flared? [/quote]

When gas or oil is flared it means it is fed out of a big boom that hangs out the side of the rig platform and burn as it exits the end.

It is like a masive Roman candle and truly awsum to watch.
If you think of 10 jumbo jets all running flatout together is what its like.

The sound alone is huge and the vibration is felt everywhere, to the point i remember eating dinner while doing flare tests and the plate vibrating all over the table while trying to eat.
Offshore you live and work all within the steel structure of the platform and the noise travels through everything, so sleeping while flaring is a challenge.

Most flare tests last several hours, but some are done for a day or so to evaluate a reservoir capacity.

As for the yellow floater you asked about ....i have no idea what it is, maybe a servered control line????

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:54am 06 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete

I sent you some information sent to me from a friend in Huston he is indirectly in the industry, but I would like you to have a look at it before I post it as we don't need any more BS than we already are hearing.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:29am 06 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

Errrr?? you did???

The black hole of cyber space must have it because i dont.

You best send it again.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024