Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:39 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Off Grid Computer build

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 08 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guys,
Well my old asus laptop has just about given up the ghost so I decided after a heap of research to build my own new computer and keep within a $1,000 budget.

Being off the grid here and I reckon using 240 volt ATX psu's is plainly a waste of energy. Lets see 24 volts DC to 240 volts AC via an inverter going into a ATX psu back down to DC levels, just imagine the current draw on the batteries. I asked Gordon about the DC psu he bought and I found the place over in Perth.

This is the psu I bought 250 watt DC psu also I got the enclosure for it.

I decided to go micro atx for the motherboard and found the Zotac ones are the Rolls Royce in car computers. After a heap of looking and asking a few online mates I went for
this one. Om monday I'll be pickin up the intel i5-750 cpu and 4 gig of ram so that only leaves a 500 gig green SATA HD to buy. I'll be using an old computer case to save a few $$ and I should have enough left to get a decent LCD screen and keep within the $1,000 budget.

Go try and find a i5-750 based computer here under $1,000 and keep looking as there isn't any....

Cheers Bryan

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:37am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just had a look at that power supply, its a top bit of gear! 6 to 30v input range. $133AU. Very nice.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:48am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan

Have you had a look at MSY Technology for the extra bits needed like the HDD, Ram, keyboard etc. As they are dirt cheap compared to many others.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

sPuDd

Posted: 07:51am 09 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW!!

Those little PSU's are incredible!! It's in my bookmarks list now!
In fact its making me think I might build a mini PC for my next
home PC. I can have the advantage of easily changable modules without
the big power drain. Got me thinking now...

Cheers Bryan

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

GreenD88

Posted: 03:45am 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's one beautiful mobo. Cheap too and perfect for just about any type of computer, logging, gaming, video etc. They also have one that supports the common LGA775 Socket. Mini ITX Intel 775

If you live in the U.S. you can get them on Ebay for about $140

Zotac H55ITX-A-E, LGA1156 Mini-ITXEdited by GreenD88 2010-05-11
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:30am 10 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys,
Got the cpu today (i5-750 Quad core 64 bit) and 2 off 2 gig 1333 DDR3 ram sticks, tomorrow I'll get a 500 gig WD Black sata HD and that will take the running total to $837. Today I found out the new LCD's have a LED backlight instead of using a fluro and a 20" wide screen LG one is $249 on the first quote. That will take the total cost to $1086 which although is just over my budget it's still a damm cheap computer for the power it will have and the lack of power it will use. I did spring for a OEM version of winblows 7 premuim today for $108 but that wasn't included in the build cost.

Cheers BryanEdited by Bryan1 2010-05-11

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 05:21am 24 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well guys got everything connected up and tried to boot and all I got a several beeps of the motherboard. It turned out the i5-750 cpu needs a graphics card and my local puter tech said on the phone don't worry mate we have one here for $52 come on down with the puter and I'll fit it.

Well when I booted the puter again I got the bios screen up and less than 1/2 a stubbie later winblows 7 was installed. Well it did cost a couple of hundred more than a grand but I'm happy and this is the start of running all our puters directly off DC.

Cheers Bryan

sPuDd

Posted: 11:35am 24 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What sort of power consumption for this setup Bryan?

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 24 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,

Look at this, maybe is a good replacement for HDD.
http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adidesd .asp.
Maybe the processor is too powerful?

Vasi

P.S. I think Gordons point to Eeepc as a good option for off grid is better and still can be used to microcontroller boards development.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

GWatPE

Posted: 02:09pm 24 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi vasi,

I had no feedback about the EEPc performance from other forum members, so I bought one myself. I still like my Atom board desktop, but the new EEPc, consumes only 4W while operating as a logger. I think with bluetooth and the wireless LAN turned OFF, consumption could be lower still.

I can do all the usual stuff, including program a micro with a USB-SER converter from within Win7 starterpack. Am doing my programming development with it as well, and it has a 10h battery life.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 24 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guys,
I did some power tests last night using my clamp meter and even with several programs running the current draw was less than 3 amps Take in 24 watts for the lcd and on average 60-80 watts for the puter and this will turn out to be a very low power high end puter.

Cheers Bryan

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 03:13am 26 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Difficult to measure the power my laptop uses as obviously on mains power vs charging make the equations a little messy.

If I leave it plugged in (the normal case )mains consumption is about 30W less when unplugged -however the power supply is rated for ~100W

Sounds like the DC PC is a winner for You Bryan -well done!!

Luck favours the well prepared

matt down south

Posted: 04:03pm 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan was the lcd screen dc powered as well as the main puter box?
matt

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:01am 29 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matt down south said   Bryan was the lcd screen dc powered as well as the main puter box?

Hi Matt,
Yes the lcd does run off a 12 volt 2 amp power supply, but as I run 24 volts here I do intend to setup a 12 volt array so I can power every computer LCD off it and other apps. Yesterday I got another roll of 6mm dual cable so if the rain stops tomorrow I'll run 2 new cables to the lounge room so I can relocate the 64 bit computer there which is closer to the fire.

The next major project is installing the optass 3G dongle above the house and get RossW to be my ISP. On the trials I've done here the 3G dongle works perfect and as I'm typing I'm on my shed computer with it blowing a gale, raining and the 3G dongle behind a steel wall.

We have only caught up once so if you want to come on up to the farm for a BBQ and a few beers just let me know.

Cheers Bryan

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 29 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,
How you will do the 12 volt array?

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024