Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:14 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Laptop Computer Help

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:16pm 27 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Calling on the collective genius here; my MacBook laptop computer's "back-light" (LED?) failed and I have to use a flashlight to barely see what's on the screen.

Anyone know a quick fix other than a new laptop?

This happened when it was new, right out of the box and they replaced it free, saying this happens only once in a zillion. This is the SECOND TIME for me. The odds of that happening are something on the order of winnind the lottery twice in a row. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, eh?

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

GreenD88

Posted: 12:57am 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First you need to check the cable going to the backlight might just be a loose wire when they installed the new light. But a new light only costs around $10 on ebay about $100 for a new screen. Type Macbook and Model# and Backlight fix or repair in google you should find plenty of hits.

PC's are better ;pEdited by GreenD88 2010-05-29
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:42am 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said  This happened when it was new, right out of the box and they replaced it free, saying this happens only once in a zillion. This is the SECOND TIME for me.

Maybe things changed when they switched to Intel processors?
http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2009/01/18/fixing_your_macbook_s cree.html

VasiEdited by vasi 2010-05-29
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 06:09am 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi

I owe you a Coke!

It worked for a second or two after I turned it off, removed the battery, held down the start button, then replaced the battery and re-booted. Thanks for your wisdom; you likely saved me pulling the rest of my hair out!

I noticed that my energy setting was 0%. I haven't used the computer for a day and the battery is all but whacked. I'll keep fooling around with it and maybe even pop for a new battery, if leaving it on the charger all night does the trick. I'm hoping it'll work long enough for me to scrape all the information off. I have my business on the silly thing and even though I have everything backed up, it'd be nice to make a clean break.

Thanks again.

. . . . . Mac
Copeville, Texas

GreenD88

Posted: 10:08am 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most laptops also have a VGA out port that will allow you to hook it up to an external monitor or one of those fancy new tv's. :)
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:29pm 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi

I owe you two Cokes; it works again!

Thanks! And thanks everyone!

Time to go build a windmill now.

. . . . . Mac
Copeville, Texas

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:51pm 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac,

I really did nothing but I'm glad is working again. Some how I'm surprised to see how many problems are in Macintosh garden. Some of the problems are old and not solved.
Thanks for the first coke and the second one goes to GreenD88 and the third one to the author of that blog .
I'm watching your progress with your little windmill.

P.S. As a note, switching to Intel processors was a bad move from Apple part IMHO (and now they must continue to play this game). The new PowerPC 7 processors form IBM are great (hope the owners of apple regret the move).
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

GreenD88

Posted: 11:46pm 28 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One last thing you might to check is the EFI is up to date. It's like the bios on PC's. Controls all the start up stuff. You can type in your model number and EFI Update into google and find something I bet.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024