Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:09 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Car Question

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 01:49am 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a car question, so for lack of a better place to ask it, I'm asking it here in "Other Stuff".

My wife's Mercedes 320 E is stuck in 2nd gear. This is apparently a design element, which protects things from getting damaged once a sensor buried within the transmission (automatic) sends a "code" to the car's computer module.

Anyone know a way around this, short of taking the transmission out and yanking it all apart?

Boy, I thought my ax-fx build was a paperweight! This tops that by about 10,000 pounds!

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:00am 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver;
Here is a Link to a 4M that may shed light on your problem.
BTW Don't hang your Swim ware on the gear shifter Knob. Water in Gear selector module
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 04:01am 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mac, most of the service guys these days have portable computers that diagnose these problems <(if they have the mercedes programme). They will then tell you ,for a charge, whats wrong and how much to fix. (I've a ford , and most details of anything going wrong is in this programme thingo).

Also, have you tried the Mercedes Forum, you'd be surprised how much info is on these forums. My ford forum ,world wide, has heaps of problem solving posts..
Just Google Mecedes auto forum ,,I'm sure you'll get your free answer there...

Bruce
Bushboy

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:20am 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greenbelt

Yup, been down that path. Wife spilled water (luckily it was pure water -- reverse-osmosis) on the shifter box once, but being non-conductive, everything was fine when it dried. I've heard a spilled Coke will ruin the $500 motherboard just beneath. What gets me is, Mercedes has a damned drink holder that swivels itself out and over the top of the gearshift thingy at the touch of a button. Expletive, expletive!

brucedownunder2

Thanks. I'm aware of that 4m and when I looked, this seems to be a rampant problem amongst E-Class owners. Almost every reply said, replace the transmission.

I wrote an email to ChrisOlson about this, as we have been conversing about building either a mechanical or an "electronic" furling device for his mills and he told me all the car problems I could ever possibly imagine could be summed up in just two words: Mercedes Benz!

Great!

. . . . . Mac
Copeville, Texas

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 07:30am 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I could spell problem shorter.....Ford.....

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

wind-pirate

Posted: 11:10pm 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mac

That problem you are haveing is known as high tec Expensive things. They told me the trans was toast in my Dodge Mini van. $3,000.00 to replace it.

I pulled the left fromt axel out and there is a speed sensor in there that was cover with oil and mud. I Cleaned that out and recoded the computer. It then worked.
So I changed oil with the money I saved.

This sensor tells the trans when to shift.

Ron
THE Pirate.
stealing wind & solar energy is fun

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 11:56pm 22 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[Quote=wind-pirate]That problem you are haveing is known as high tec Expensive things.

Yeah, I knew this day would come when I bought the stupid thing for my wife.

The only and I mean ONLY German-made thing I've ever owned that didn't have problems was my BMW motorcycle. It was a boxer-twin and I put 78,000 miles on it and sold the thing. The only thing even approaching a "problem" was a spike through the rear tire on a freeway in Florida once. I should have quite while I was ahead.

Anyone up for an E 320? It'd make a nice anchor!

. . . . . Mac
Copeville, Texas

GreenD88

Posted: 01:55am 23 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   I could spell problem shorter.....Ford.....

Pete.

I drive a 97 Ford F150 and It has 317,000 miles on it so far. I put 100,000 on it in the last two years. Stuck a used motor with 70,000 on it when I got it and rebuilt the transmission myself. And I drive 180 mile round trip everyday back and forth to work.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

GreenD88

Posted: 01:59am 23 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said   [Quote=wind-pirate]That problem you are haveing is known as high tec Expensive things.

Yeah, I knew this day would come when I bought the stupid thing for my wife.

The only and I mean ONLY German-made thing I've ever owned that didn't have problems was my BMW motorcycle. It was a boxer-twin and I put 78,000 miles on it and sold the thing. The only thing even approaching a "problem" was a spike through the rear tire on a freeway in Florida once. I should have quite while I was ahead.

Anyone up for an E 320? It'd make a nice anchor!

. . . . . Mac

Gotta love that German engineering. Got to work on a German R134a cooled Distillation unit last week. No way to work on it without tearing the whole thing apart.... Luckily the leak was close to the outside of the unit and nothing else was wrong with it.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024