Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:08 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Steam powered electricity

Page 3 of 3    
brianeeg

Posted: 07:23am 01 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys, I am new here but just wanted to send some info. I have a steam powered river launch and the guy who makes the boilers and engines is Strath steam in South Australia, he sells his units all over the world as vertical or horizontal engines for powering gen sets, Check the web site, just Google Strath Steam.
Cheers From tasmania..
brianeeg

ivancou

Posted: 01:28am 27 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found plans for this some time ago. There is a way to do it by winding pipe into a coil and putting it inside a chimney . Pump water into it , run the steam into a smog pump off a car which can be used to turn generator. Does it work , ? I haven't tried it yet but it sounds doable. There's more to it such as a couple valves ,some options for condensate recovery but that's the basic idea.
Myself , I see great potential to run a sterling engine using the flue as heat source.Getting round2it is the holdup. Too many other projects going on. One is windmill,almost done .Another day ,
Ivan

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:00am 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ivan

I would doubt there would be enough heat going up the chimmeny of a well constructed fire place to generate enough steam to run a steam engine, a stirling engine will work as there where several marketed for that purpose around a hundred years ago but where you would get one now is a real guess,

By friend made one out of 3 Volkswagen cylinders and it ran a 12 volt generator to 3 amps.

All the best

BobEdited by VK4AYQ 2010-12-29
Foolin Around

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024