Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:41 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Solar cooker?

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:52am 18 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

has anyone tried to build one?
I have some ripper sandwich panels that are foil/foam 1" then foil,
look like they will make a good oven hence plans / angles would be great!
Luck favours the well prepared

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:29pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ

I've built a few and insulation is "key". Each of mine got hot enough to bake bread. Now, mind you, cooking takes a bit longer but aside from a little plastic smell the first couple of runs, they work like a charm.

This Link shows one that sells commercially for around a hundred bucks. Both my designs were very similar except I used a single sheet of glass for the top cover. I think the one in the video is double-layered if I remember correctly. That would be a plus; like I said, "Insulation is key".

One thing to watch out for is if you use cast iron cooking pots, the iron retains so much of the heat, it can harm whatever surface it sits on. I had mine sitting right on the foam insulation block and the heat 'melted' a dent in the surface after a few runs. I later substituted a thin slab of slate (rock) and it cured the problem.

I gave one away and kept one for emergencies. The hardest part will be remembering where I stashed it!

. . . . . Mac

Edited by MacGyver 2010-07-21
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, Brett from newcastle builds and sells them and I think will sell the plans .

His demo model is on this forum --but way back ,, you'll have to do some searching ..

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024