Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:43 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : battery charger restore

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 09:51am 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

1) We have a very old GE Tungar battery charger with the rectifier bulb.
Dose any one know how to restore the bulb or where we might find a new one?
2) Could this be updated to use modern rectifiers?
3) You guys down under how do you keep the water in your battery's? ''
Up here we don't even put the caps on sometimes.
I imagine it must be a real trick to add water up hill ''
We never throw anything away but it might take a while to find it. ''
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:24am 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Isaiah

When mine died I couldn't get one either so replaced it with several stud type diodes, not as good at desulphating but they worked.

We on the lower side of the earth have a higher static charge to keep us stuck to the surface, and we use sticky water as well.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 02:29pm 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob,
I just happen to have a brand new one still in the original; box!!
That has been 40 yrs or so and was old when I got it. Im not sure if we want to put it in and take right off with it or should we bring it up slowly with a variac ? yep got one of those too maybe just a little later vintage. I want Bub to check the circuits and voltages the best he can before we try the new bulb.
The original bulb is loose in its base and on the very bottom where the solder is the solder is missing.
We could probably get some new hi powered glue and re attach the base and then get some rectifier oil and put it in and re solder the bottom contact.
Ill have to contact my local battery warehouse and see if they have the rectifier oil.
Sticky water?
I thought you guys were the ones that envented the hyperemic syringe to put the water in your battery's
your gasoline must be similar to our propane so that you can contain it in your tank.
fuel pumps must have to work double hard down there to keep the fuel in and pump it to it destination.''
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:11pm 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

isaiah,

Ever wondered why your fuel tank goes down over night.

While you are sleeping, we down here pop a hose into your tank and syphon the fuel.

There is advantages of being Down under as all things flow downhill, so can you go easy on the crap.

If we syphon, then that puts a new meaning to Americans suck

As for keeping the water in the battery, well thats easy we just put the terminals on the bottom and put them in upside down.

Since gas rises i will need to feel sorry for you next time i pass gas.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 05:10pm 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

isaiah

About that link in your signature, I tried to post a screen shot, but it's of the wrong file type. Suffice to say the link doesn't work 404-ERROR.

Might want to fix that sometime.

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:52am 26 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver
www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11-01/The-Plow boy-Interview.aspx
This is the link but when I post it on this forum for some reason it puts a space
in between t and h in The-Plowboy. I had tried back then to correct it but couldnt or dont know how Im not a computer wizz.Maybe Glenn can fix it I tryed the tool bar window and it moved the space down to the next word.

For those interested in the Vintage GE Tungar charger we took the old rectifier bulb out and hopper in a new solid stat unit and it seemed to work.so we are going to try and make it permanent with the solid state rectifier.
As you noticed that I do have a new very old stock rectifier bulb.
I am very nervous to put it service as It may act like a head light bulb you would buy out of a junk yard, they usually dont last long if they have sat for a long time.
I did get into another shed this evening and came out with a Allen Charger about the same vintage as the G.E.Tungar this both bulbs are bad.

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:54am 26 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sill isnt right the space now is in between plow and boyEdited by isaiah 2010-08-27

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 05:14am 02 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We do have the old Tungar charging by replacing the bulb with a updated diode rectifier.
Im not sure that is as strong as it was with the bulb rectifier but it dose use a different process to charging than the newer chargers.
The Allen Charger Bub has it working on one side and were going to get into it deeper when the weather moderates a little.''
The Allen I think was a 20 battery charger back in the day and the Tungar we have is a 10 battery charger.
Us old Guys dont do much in the 95+ deg weather.'' ''
Will have more as this project goes on and maybe we might just save a old battery or two. its fun seeing how the antique stuff worked!''

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024