Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:04 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : MIG WELDER

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 12 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Everyone
For the last few weeks I have been hunting for Mig Welder that run on 250 volts single phase and I have still got an old SAF 321 amp 3ph mig welder since 1984 and it had done a lot of hard working life until 12 months ago. Reason now got no 3ph power at home so decided to buy other Mig welder that runs on single phase and spare parts are available in Australia are
BOC Advance smooth arc 275 amp Mig welder, or
Weldmaster 250 amp with remote control
Lincoln 255 amp mig welder is too heavy for my pocket money
WIA 255 Mig welder &
CIG has 255 amp are out but don’t like wire feeler setup
Now looking at BOC or Weldmaster, i would like to know anyone who has worked with this welder. And I have done welding test with the Latest BOC welder last week but,??? Next one is Weldmaster next time and only looking welder that will pass my welding specification not at the look of the pretting looking welding box & I do lots of heavy steel and aluminium work like using around 200 amps.or sometime more Can anybody help me out? NO E-bay Chinese made welder

Dwyer the bushman

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:08pm 12 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer

We used the WIA 250 amp one with great success in the workshop for years but I was told the new ones use aluminum wire now so it would pay to check.

I now use a Chinese inverter drive 250 amp one and found it very good, much better to weld with and better penetration, as to how long it will last that remains to be seen, but as I,m not doing any serious work now it should be OK.

The WIA and BOC ones do have the advantage of local service and warranty but cost three times as much.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:00am 13 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob
Thank for your commemt as you aware that l have be told WIA is going stop manufacture their WIA welding equiment in south Australia by end of the year and many staff will be lose their workplace but companyis going overseas what l have been told , Again other losses of Aussie icon
BOC has gave me me very good deal with the welder same with Weldmaster 250 amp with retome control for $2230 with GTS 5 years warrany on transformer while BOC l think 24 month however l do aware electroic control inverter welder draw 240 volt at 55 amp at 275amp and housewiring to the workshed will have to upgrade is will cost more and again other head problem for me
regard Dwyer

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:07am 13 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer

Yes I agree that the wiring with a single phase welder is a real issue, I have a 20 amp power point in the meter box and use that for the mig with 30 meters of heavy lead 6mm I think, it is the lead they use on submersible water pumps. the inverter welder is much more tolerant to running on a long lead, that's why I got it, as the transformer 225 amp one I had was useless unless plugged into the point directly.

Have you got two phase to the house or three phase, sometimes they installed it for running electric stoves, if you have, get a 440 volt unit they are far better.

Where I lived before I had to run a generator in parallel with the mains to get enough power to weld properly, but was running a 500 amp mig then.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:57am 13 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ian,

Have a look at "Uni mig" as they were a cheaper mig and i have never had a problem with mine.
Others have complained with wire feed problems but that was due to not fitting the right drive roller for the wire size they were using.

I would stay away from 440 volt as it puts you back in the situation of 3 phase as you are in now.

BOC......Well....British Overpriced Crap ....i think so would give that a miss.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024