Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:46 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : My Kind Of Nuclear Power

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 02:43am 30 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Self regulated, Naturally shielded, Waste products are safely stored, A closed loop system that discharges no pollution to the enviornment and very likely $Millions Cheaper than a Reactor.

This British Web site has a great article who's time has come. 5 Km Down

Another thought comes to mind,
A well that is drilled anywhere on dry earth to a depth of 20 thousand feet will have a substantial rise in temperature at the bottom of the Hole, Refrigerants could be used to drive Turbines without the need for 300 Deg.C.

EDIT:
Big mistake-- This is not the Company's Web site.--- WAS (This British Web site is a Company who's time has come.)
RoeEdited by Greenbelt 2010-10-31
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 10:14pm 30 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greenbelt

It's funny, but I've thought about this several times in the past. Where I live (San Diego) there are hot springs galore just 50 miles north at Murrieta Hot Springs. Could be that's where they got the name, ya think?

At any rate, a well only a hundred feet deep or so gets a bottom temperature enough to boil mud, so one would think it would also be enough to make steam and generate electricity, even if it were only good enough for a reciprocating engine. All that would be necessary is to make it larger and it'd be ale to drive a megawatt alternator. Seems to me it should work.

I'd like to see someone merely sink a metal coiled tube into a hole and run water through it to make steam for use at the surface. Seems that would be as unobtrusive as it gets, so all the tree huggers and Sierra Club folks don't get their panties all in a wad!

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:56am 31 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI MAC;
Yes there are many places where the hot earth could be used to generate power it must be too easy or it sounds a little to much like Snake Oil to a Banker when you ask for a Loan to develop it.??
Mount ST.Hellens about 50 miles south of Me Has enough Heat to supply Seattle local area for a hundred years or more. Mount Baker about 60 miles North has a chimney that reaches 14,000 Ft. into the sky, It's been smoking for all the 48 years I've Lived in this state. It's only 100 Ft. shorter than California's Mt.Whitney.

Some time ago I drove through California;s Mt.Lassen Volcanic national park where little red hot pools of Lava dotted the roadside, Of course Mt. St Hellens is on the Books to become another National Park , Yellowstone Nat'l Park with it's boiling lakes and Geyser's I will take a guess on the size of this Park 30 x 30 miles That's 900 square miles of hot rock. The Government likes the thought of having a brisk uplifting aroma of Sulpher dioxide while viewing our national Heirlooms. The Idea is "NO CHEAP FUEL".
Now that My Gripe is over, there are places that use the Geo. They were established before the Gov. Had control of the natural resources.

Here is a Link that is very educational, Any persons interested in Geothermal, Solar,
Hydro, and wind will find something interesting here. I saw a Link on the referenced site to a world wide Map of Geothermal.

Geothermal Map for the United States
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024