Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:40 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 12v water re-location for garden

openplains

Posted: 11:19am 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi. I curently have a 240v sump pump in a 60 litre drum with a float switch pumping the rain water from the back of the shed to another tank at the back of the block, however the float switch burnt through the cable recently.. and im now faced with the dilema of what to do for its replacement as I would like to change the 60ltr tank over for the 180Ltr one but even then the float (if I get a replacement) will have problems operating reliably.

Imwondering if anyone could suggest a way to convert the float switch to a multi-stage switch that when the top switch is triggered the pump turns on and continues until the bottom swith turns off. Oh and at 240Vac

Alternatively Ive been looking at 12volt 3700GPH Bilge Pumps
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-Submersible-Fishing-Boat-Bilge-Wa ter-Pump-3700-GPH-/270664428072?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories &hash=item3f04db6a28

and Im wondering if I couldnt some how make this the pump and then look at running the pump from a battery with a solar re-charger to make the whole thing self sufficient. (Cause when the pump is needed its going to be raining) Maybe have more than one transfer tank involved from the one battery//

Thoughts ????/
Thanks Rob.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:06pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rob

If you do go for a 12v pump, you might find this interesting.
http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/PumpControler.asp

Also, make sure the pump you buy has the pressure to reach the top tank. Bilge pumps dont need to have a lot of pressure. You want somthing with 40 or more PSI, depending on how high your top tank it.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Something i used for a level switch for many years was the pressure sensor from a washing machine.

They often have a little screw on the back of them to adjust the travel of the diaphram for the switching point.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:13pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rob

Petes suggestion works well on 12 volts but don't forget to use a relay to switch the pump or it will burn out the pump or the switch with over current.

You could also use this method with the pump you have using a suitable relay.
I also have used level switches from ebay, but also need a relay as they are a control switch not a load switch, I got several stainless steel ones for $12 each and plastic for $6 the plastic one works good but needs a sun shade if in a sunny area as the plastic dies after a while with UV.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:30pm 15 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mine was wired with the 240 volts direct through the pressure switch with no relay.

If you do not understand working with mains voltage and understand all the saftey precautions than i dont recommend you attempt this.

For use with a 12 volt system Bob is correct with the need for a relay, as the current draw for 12 volt will be much higher than with 240 volt.

The great part about the washing machine sensors is they can be mounted above the container with no need for mounting holes through the container.

This allows for all electrics to be mounted in a weather proof enclosure with only a plastic air tube going into the container to monitor water level.

It is important to have the larger cup shaped section fitted to the bottom of the air tube to give enough air pressure to activate the diaphram.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:03am 16 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rob

If it were my project, I'd use a float, which raised and lowered a shaft within a plastic pipe. I would attach a magnet to the end of the shaft and at whichever interval I want the pump to come on, I'd attach a reed switch to the outside of the plastic pipe. I'd wire the reed switches to relays, so the pump current wouldn't pass through the switch.

As the float passed the magnet past each switch, it would turn it on, then as the magnet passed beyond the reach of the switch, it'd turn the circuit off.

I've seen sump pumps, which operate like you want (on when full, then keep running until the sump is nearly empty) but these use a.c. A 12-volt application might need more relays to work.

Hope that helps. It might be easier to use multiple floats and switches, I dunno.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Barry T Coles

Posted: 03:29am 16 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rob

I work in the water industry; there is a simple controller that we use for this purpose,it consists of a float that slides up & down a stainless rod inside the tank & is connected to a toggle switch or a mercury switch on the out side, I drew a picture in MS draw but couldn’t make it attach so if you want send me an Email & I will email it to you.
barry.coles@watercorporation.com.au

As for a pump I use a 12 volt submersible pump for drawing water from monitoring bores, there are a lot available now but are still pricey the one I use is around $1,500 but that comes with a controller to vary the flow rate, here’s a link to a site.
http://ecoenvironmental.com.au/sales/groundwater/water-sampl ers/ground-water-pump/12v-groundwater-pumps-plastic/

There are also cheaper ones available from 4WD stores one I know if is called an Amazon.

Hope this helps
Barry

Edited by Barry T Coles 2010-11-17
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

openplains

Posted: 07:20pm 16 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Barry my email addy is robh@openplains.com.au

Thanks all for the suggestions. Has my mind working a lot of possibilities..
Ive found the bilge pump does approx 40psi so this might be an interesting option..

Looking at PICAXE has sparked some interest a guy in Qld has a starter kit with software and leads etc for a nice price. so will look at that.. If I could find a holding relay i could get away with a couple of side mounted bilge floats where the top float could trigger a holding current until the bottom float cuts out then i wont have any residual loss. when not in use. good especially when I consider moving to a battery with solar charger power supply. and possibly multiple pumps from the one power source.

Robb

Posted: 12:30am 17 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Posting ones email in thread is the perfect way to get spammed off the planet. Best to use this one -->

You can edit posts

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024