Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:39 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : A New PM Motor to look out for.

grub

Posted: 07:48am 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Simpson washing machines are now using a permanent magnet motors and these will be more available due to a manufacturing and sales plan.
The seal at the top of the top of the cone is unique to this motor/gearbox and can't be replaced. If it stuffs up then it is a motor/gearbox replacement. Therefore these will be more common as they fail. The bearings are a standard size and can be replaced.
There is a gearbox that fits within the cone and the gearbox has the permanent magnets attached to the base end. The windings are then fitted over the top of the permanent magnets. You could have a one to one ratio (whole gearbox spins) or geared up (movement goes through the gearbox (about 5:1)if the blades are put on the agitator shaft. The black plastic mechanism under the magnets is the spin lock mechanism. When it disengauges the whole gearbox rotates and when engauged the agitator shaft only rotates.

So people, keep your eyes open for Simpson Ezysensor or Eziset washing machines of about 2 years old or younger.

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 06 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grub, this motor looks exactly like the shibaura (sp?) that was discussed here some time ago. A chap from Adelaide was selling them and I bought one. Its working now with my VAWT that I am experimenting with.
BTW, the gearbox turned out to be a planetary type, 6.3:1 ratio - I took mine apart to see what makes it tick. Its very suitable for slow turning VAWT's.
The black speed changeover thingie is, IMO, a bit of a gimmick and it did not look beefy enough to put on a wind turbine.
I threw all the steel housing away and fitted the stator in a PVC tube with alu end caps. Did not use the bearings & seal as these caused too much drag.
Klaus

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024