Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:51 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 30th Dec 2006 F&P Chicken house.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:19am 30 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well I'm not getting as much done as I would like, funny how easy it is to get into holiday mode and just sit back with a cool drink in one hand and the DVD remote control in the other.

I have started on the additions to the web site, added some of the electrical stuff, its at the top of the Projects and Info page. But still a lot of work to go. If anyone see's any errors, please let me know.

I also recycled one of the old F&P cases into a house for the chicken pen I'm building.

And I can open the lid/door to get the eggs out.

Now I just need to get a couple of chickens.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:14pm 30 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice chicken house-- It bought something to my mind of years ago -Snakes- Yesterday ,I spotted a big snake after I cut some grass around my rock retaining walls.
Wonder if any experts can help in identification.?

Sort of very dark green, yellow underside, around 2 Mtrs long . Maybe it lives in the huge rocks that make up a lot of our retaining walls- we've seen it 2 times now.

don't really want to kill it ,unless it starts coming into my workshop or starts climbing our poles to get on our balconies.-have no guns .

Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:37pm 30 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That snake sounds like one that is hanging around here. I think its actually a green tree snake, I have seen it climb a fence, and they say its very easy to mistake it with a yellow belly black snake. The tree snake is dark green with a yellow belly like you said, very fast little critter, and harmless, but I'll still keep my distance thankyou. I've also seen a few harmless pythons, and a little taipan ( not so harmless    ), and a legless lizzard.
You just got to look where you walk, keep the grass down around the house, and you wont have any problems I find.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:12am 31 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn, like u say "use a bigger hammer"

Yellow belly bruce
Bushboy

kenputer

Posted: 02:33pm 31 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is one thing we are lucky not to have,any posinous creatures of any kind,maybe getting sprayed by a skunk or coming across a bear in the bush would be scary around here but not life threating.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
Thanks for all the help I get from this great site!
ken in windy Nova Scotia
As good as you are and as bad as I am,I'm as good as you are as bad as I am!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:25am 01 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would be pretty scarred if I came across a bear in the woods.

In the Ozy bush you do really have to keep a eye to the ground, the snakes here will kill you in less than 10 minutes, and the Taipan is a aggressive little bugger, will stand its ground or chase. If you see one of those the best thing to do is run, fast. But you learn to live with them, dont walk around at dusk, make lots of noise, watch where you put your feet. Here is a big python I caught last year, and a little tree snake.

Glenn
JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 05:51am 01 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
In the Ozy bush you do really have to keep a eye to the ground, the snakes here will kill you

Shhhh, we're trying to get more of our American RE friends to visit. They're getting a might twitchy already between our spiders, snakes, drop-bears and lord knows what else.

I took some pics the other day of some more of our local visitors:

Was asked if it was deadly and they seemed relieved we have at least one non-lethal native!

Unlike this 4' brown

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:09am 01 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah you got to watch out for those drop bears.

JAQ

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:56am 01 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gimzo and Bruce
Yes that would be Green tree snake and that now their home now on your rock retaining walls Bruce however still watch out for brown snake Last time we found two green tree snake near our house and we caught them for loving pet and one evening three of my kids play with while watching TV and then when to bed and forgot until next morning snake disappear until one week later came out of hiding in TV cabint again fews days later lost again for good as l resume they got out of the box and back in the bush however snake can get into chicken box at night time so be aware of Glen

Dwyer the Bushman

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:36am 04 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keeping grass and vegetation down around the house does help, but they a curious little creatures. You must also be in tune with other nature also. The cat alerted us to one on our lounge chair, under a cushion. Before we had a ceiling in the house we had one in the rafters. The birds often tell us they are in the yard. Not so long ago, Marcy raced out with the poly pipe, when the birds were going ape near Dales swing and play area. Very quickly called for helpas it was over 6 foot 2 inch round and very black. It got away, but most likely would have been a taipan.

For our tourist friends though, nothing to worry about, the statistics are higher for plane or car crashes.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Prof

Posted: 12:17pm 16 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a rule of thumb, if the snake can climb up a tree or other high places, it is harmless.

Gizmo, is there a trouser snake about looking for a couple of birds in the bush or is there some other reason for no weekly posting here?

How it the Southern Cross performing?

Prof
I know boats!!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:44am 19 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Prof.

I think the trouser snake died from starvation.

Yes I need to start making more posts, but you know how it is during summer in the tropics, too hot to do much.

The Southern Cross is running good. It pumps water faster than I thought it would, fills the header tank with only a few hours wind. It needs a little work, few rusty bolts I want to replace, and I need to rethink the pump brackets I made, they flex too much with each pump cycle. But is fun to work on and I like the Clunk Tink Clunk noises it makes.

Glenn
JAQ

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:32am 21 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

F & P Dog Den, Just another great use.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024