Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:17 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 4th Feb 2007. Rain rain go away!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:52am 04 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well I'm starting to loose it, this rain is driving me crazy. Bored stupid. Constant rain since last Tuesday. Cloths line fell over, cats favorite tree broke in half, car wont start and all my shoes are wet.

Started working on the Chinese blades, worked out how to reshape them and did one blade as a test. The fibreglass is easy to work with, I cut a wedge out with a wood saw and then used a power file to reshape th leading edge, but a normal wood file would work just as well. Then finished off with some sandpaper. Took about 15 minutes to do one blade. Then the itch hit me. Spent the next 6 hours scratching my arms, I hate working with fibreglass. Trev, your the fibreglass expert, are there any tricks of the trade to stop the itch?
Below you can see the new profile, and the reduced angle of attack at the tips. This new twist should give more power and reduced noise. The blade tip is still very wide at 70mm, only took 30mm off, tapering back to nothing at about 200mm from the root end of the blade.

Angle A was the original tip angle, and B is the new tip angle. Now I just need to work up the courage to face the itch and do the other 2 blades. When done I'll post some pictures and measurements of the whole process.

Converted a 240c 40watt fluoro to 12v operation. I used the circuit found here. Works a treat, draws about 2.5 amps at 12v. I'll write up a web page about how I went in the next couple of weeks.

Dam finally has some water in it after all this rain, the dog wasn't too sure of what to make or it, she didn't go in very deep.

The car, an old 92 Commodore wouldn't start on Saturday. Wound over but I couldn't hear the fuel pump run, so out came the multimeter. I figured water had got into the computer, but that was fine. A few tests showed the fuel pump, in the fuel tank, was open circuit. I gave the fuel tank a big whack with my hand and tried again, this time the car started. This means the brushes in the fuel pump are worn out so it needs replacing. Bugger! The old Commodore has had a few problems over the last year, but I own it and its still cheaper to repair then pay off a new car, plus the V6 is good on fuel and great for the highway.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2010-09-12
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

wind-pirate

Posted: 03:33am 04 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I will trade you some rain for our snow and -40 degree
weather. Yes -40 degrees is the same in both scales.
I will admitt that i'm getting spoiled, we usualy get worse. I'm in the construction industry and it makes it very hard to do things the easy way. Like in the summer.
But thats Saskatchewan Canada.

Ron

THE Pirate.
stealing wind & solar energy is fun

Pt w/field Matt

Posted: 02:55am 06 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Glen are you going put a inverter circuit on the board for the 24v boys as well?
matt down south

permaclutter

Posted: 10:45pm 06 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen &and All
I have made and lived under many of these litle inverters over the years.unfortunately i could not work out how to listen to the wireless with one running, some way to lessen the noise would be a great improvement.
Lyn

RossW
Guru

Posted: 12:14am 07 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

permaclutter said   Hi Glen ∧ All
I have made and lived under many of these litle inverters over the years.unfortunately i could not work out how to listen to the wireless with one running, some way to lessen the noise would be a great improvement.
Lyn

Build the circuit in a diecast (metal, screw-together) box. Run the power in through feedthroughs and bypass it properly. Feed the HV out to the tube in screened cable, ground the screen to the metal box (but leave it disconnected at the fluro end) and you will be well on the way.

If you put all the electronics in the fluro fitting, as long as you have it nicely screened, you can probably get away with running the DC line through a ferrite core a couple of times as close as possible to the metal of the enclosure to stop the RF getting back down the cable.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:45am 07 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some good tips there Ross. I'll remember to add the ferrite bead.

Hey Matt I'm not 100% sure about the conversion to 24v, Ross or some of the other electronics guru's might be able to help, but I would suggest changing the 180R resistor to 330R, and use 30 turns on the primary instead of the 58 turns used for 12v. Might pay to drop the primary wire size down to 0.8mm too.

The one shown above was a messy build, just wanted to see if it worked before I build another one for photos on the web site. I used 0.6 mm wire for the secondary, so ended up with about 6 layers, close to 30mm diameter when finished. And I had problems with the transistor over heating, probally due to the poor transformer winding not giving the correct circuit loading. I added a bigger heat sink and used a 220R resistor instead of the 180R. Still runs warm but will survive.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 08 Feb 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Sorry, the itch is just how it is.........

You can use hand lotion/cream, all over uncovered skin. But that gets messy all over your F/g and then you have to get it off for painting.

You can use rubber gloves, long sleeve shirt and trousers. Basically just cover up. You should avoid breathing the dust.

The secret is not to rub or scratch it. Wash with soap as soon as you are finished.

How would a FAN go for your purpose of reducing noise.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024