Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:30 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : electrical hybrid vehicle using F&P motor

martinjsto

Posted: 12:19pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi all,
i have been working on a idear of using the F&P motor to assist a vehicle making a hybrid fuel/electric car.
as we know the f&p can be used modified to output different voltage/amp combination.
i was thinking of attaching 4 modified motors to each wheel replacing the hubcaps, these would be the 7 phase modded motor with the new rotor to reduce cogging, the output i plan to join the outputs together to then, at the flip of a switch drive a replacement tailshaft that incorporates a electric motor, my theory is that i can enguage the electric drive whilst on my long trips to my farm, effectively using the diesel to only overcome the zero point
just food for thought and any input negative or positive would be apreciated
thanks and great work with the site
martin110263

free power for all
McAlinden WA

Vasco

Posted: 03:46pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Martinjst,
I have seen some time back a CHINESE kit to convert a push bike into electrical. They sell the bycicle hub (and the full wheel) with a built-in electrical motor and all associated stuff....it could be starter for your project...Just a suggestion..
Regards
Regards
Vasco

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:04pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Move the topic to the "Other" section.

The F&P is not an easy thing to use as a motor without some very fancy electronics. We tried a few years ago, and gave up. http://www.thebackshed.com/mackaysolarcar/index.html. The motor did work, but it kept blowing MOSFETS if we accelerated too hard.
You could use a standard 3 phase, cogging isnt an issue for motors. Power will be lacking, a F&P makes about 1 kw as a motor, and it takes several kw to cruise at 100kmh. You need to talk to Trev, he's the resident EV guru.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

martinjsto

Posted: 11:05pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the idear is to generate power from the 4 f&p's attached to the wheels, then use that power to drive a smaller motor (not a f&p) adapted around a tailshaft, so the tailshaft actualy becomes the stator, giving a positive drive acceleration reducing fuel comsumption.
i understand you cannot overcome zero point or anything but you should be able to assist greatly shouldnt you?
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:20pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nah dont work. Its kind of like setting a electric fan in front of a windmill, then using the windmill power to drive the fan, just dont work. Every time you convert energy from one type to another you loose some. When you work out and add up the losses you see why it would quickly grind to a halt. You need to put energy in to the loop before you can get it out.

Another way to explain it. The F&P alternators on the wheels would create drag, like braking, trying to slow the car down. They do this because they are converting the foward motion into electrical energy. The motor on the tail shaft would need to overcome this extra drag before it can provide any benifit, and there's the problem. It would take more power to overcome the drag than could be generated by the F&P's in the first place.

Glenn Edited by Gizmo 2007-10-24
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

martinjsto

Posted: 05:01am 23 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yer i thought that will be the case, my thought line was to continue driving under diesel power whilst the electronics was enguaged, using the power of the standard diesel motor to make up for any losses i will incure, but your right the drag on the wheels would requier more power from diesel motor .even if i acomplish that im just back to square 1 anyway, thanks glen, gizmo, vasco.
i will look into those bike wheels vasco thanks m8
just a thought
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024