Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:40 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : New VFD Drive for the Bridgeport

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 01:46am 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Guy's,
Well with finally getting my ER32 collet chucks from hongkong which took over 3 months I finally got around to hooking up my Delta 2hp VFD to my bridgeport mill. I haven't madeup the external control box as yet but running the mill striaght from the VFD box I'm getting 300-1050 rpm from 17.5-60 Hz and the current draw is only 1.5 amps on the single phase side. To say I'm wrapped is an under statement and my next jobbie will be to convert my old 4' lathe to 3 phase/VFD drive. For blokes like me totally dependant on RE and want to run metal cutting machinery this has to be the best option by a long way. Currently my 4' lathe has a 2hp single phase motor and my 15kva genset really kicks in when I turn the lathe on. As soon as I can afford to convert the lathe i'll do some data logging and post the results here but for now it looks real encouraging.

Cheers Bryan. ( with probably one of the few totally RE machineshops)

Gill

Posted: 03:44am 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan, that sounds good.
Have always had the pipe dream of having a small machine shop setup but with only RE like yourself, I imagined it well out of reach. What the hell is a VFD? Sounds like it's a converter of DC to 3phaseAC? A little more info and a pic would be nice if you can manage it. Ta.

Sounds like I need to come and live next door.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:11am 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill I'll find some more info on the Vairable Frequency Device's (VFD) and prices as we sell them at work. I did talk with my state manager if I was to offer the goods we sell could we do it for a better price and he said go for it Bryan I know you'll do well. I was going to put a thread in the for sale section but I'll hang off as hopefully the local gold mine will give the go ahead and I'll get a job with them.

Cheers Bryan

GWatPE

Posted: 06:11am 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good one bryan.

The milling machine I used to make my stator moulds from aluminium plate was a schlomberg, Swiss Made, 3 axis, with tilt head and indexing table. All manual though. I think the unit had a cone type infinitely variable speed drive. It will be interesting to see how much power the VFdrive uses when actually cutting metal.

The nice part of a VFdrive is the soft start. This gives the inverter an easier time.

I have installed VFdrive units on aircon plants and also a solar car and the lathe I used to have. The VFdrive unit I have, that I took off my lathe when I sold it is a Pacific Scientific brand. The motor was a permanent magnet brushless servo motor [> 90% efficiency]. I think you are using a std 3phase squirrel cage induction motor. I still have 2 of the pacific scientific controllers, with motors.

You might consider the jump to a permanent magnet motor. The pacific scientific controller enabled 0-3000rpm on the motor, forward and reverse.

I intend to set up a mill, lathe and drill press in a workshop again, when I get a break from electronics.

You will notice a reduction in power usage.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:28pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said   The motor was a permanent magnet brushless servo motor [> 90% efficiency]. I think you are using a std 3phase squirrel cage induction motor. I still have 2 of the pacific scientific controllers, with motors.

You might consider the jump to a permanent magnet motor. The pacific scientific controller enabled 0-3000rpm on the motor, forward and reverse.

I intend to set up a mill, lathe and drill press in a workshop again, when I get a break from electronics.

You will notice a reduction in power usage.

cheers, Gordon.

Hi Gordon, I'm also interested in fitting a PM motor & controller to my lathe if the price is affordable. Do you have some info or websites where I can look it up?

Presently my Chinese lathe uses a single phase 1.1KW motor and has 6 speeds via two V-belts. Infinitely adjustable speed sounds good to me.

Klaus

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:07am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well guys,
I'll ask the question at work tomorrow on how much thse VFD drives will cost. The one have here is a 2 hp version and the biggest one in the range is a 3hp model. The motor I used is a CMG 2HP 3 phase motor setup in delta and I can also supply the motors at a good price. We also sell the full baldor range of DC/servo motors but thats another kettle of fish as far as wind genies go.

Cheers Bryan Edited by Bryan1 2007-12-03

GWatPE

Posted: 01:00am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi tinker,

The VFD will probably set you back almost as much as the Chinese lathe. I spent a couple of thousand 10 years ago. You can search the Inet just as easily as me. You will inevitably need to make adapter plates for the motor and the electrical side should be done by a sparky.

Hi Bryan,

the DC servo motors are good for high rpm applications. Mine are 64V/1000rpm and are rated at 1.6kW at 3000rpm. This would equate to only about 200W on a direct drive mill at 3-400rpm.

cheers, Gordon.
become more energy aware

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 01:45am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya guys,
I just did a google search and found the VFD I have here. Typically my works website doesn't show them by anyway thats the one I got.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:20am 03 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya guy's
Well after a good disussion with the boss today I can now offer these VFD's to you guys. They are brand new and come with a full warranty and i can supply them way under the list price. Ok below is the prices.

0.75Kw (1hp) $300+ gst
1.5Kw (2hp) $350+ gst

Now you'll need a 3 phase motor wired up in delta and I can supply the motors where they be foot or flange mount
Prices for the motors.

0.75Kw $192+ gst
1.5Kw $242+ gst

If anyone is interested just reply to this thread for starters then we can go from there.

Cheers Bryan

P.S. I'm not making any money out of this for myself I'm only doing it as a favour to you blokes.

Gill

Posted: 10:51am 03 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bryan, great bargain!
Unfortunately not in a position to be setting up a machine shop in spite of my dreams so will have to pass on your great deal.
At least I know what to get when the time comes.

Thanks.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 03 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan, just out of curiosity, on the site you quoted above they also list 1.5Hp SINGLE phase VFD's.
With one of these single phase units I could use the existing single phase 1.1KW lathe motor, surely?
Or did I confuse the issue somewhere?
Getting a new 3ph motor and VFD would make this upgrade too expensive for me. Especially when one considers the extra freight cost to Perth.
Klaus
Klaus

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:47am 04 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Tinker,
These VFD's need a 3 phase motor wired up in delta to work. I can ask if we sell single phase VFD's but I'm not sure if we do . I know the prices aint too cheap but the prices I supplied are way under list price and if you guys were to walk in and ask for the same you'd might as well near double the price.

Cheers Bryan

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024