Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:15 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Windmills: Walk through, help?

sticks22

Posted: 03:48pm 06 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can someone walk me through the process that the electricity takes as it enters the house. I need help in understanding the process.

Scenario:
I just setup my tower with 48 volt windmill. Im assuming that the 48 volts, from what Ive read, is the most efficient producer as wind speeds increase. RIGHT??? YES??? NO???

As the electricity exits the rotor part of the wind mill, it travels down the wire to the bottom of the tower. RIGHT??? So far???

What happens next? Lets assume Im going to have a battery bank with "NO" grid tie inverter. What other electrical components will I need, and are there any simple solutions to making homemade replacements that are cheap enough without burning a hole in my pocket.

I realize that someone out there is saying to their selves "Man you have got alot to learn before setting up your own wind mill"! Thats why Im asking!

sticks22Edited by sticks22 2008-02-08

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 06 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Sticks22
Things what you said is the same problem l having with myself as soon l am going to built 48 volts power however l am going to 50 volts sysem plus using pure sine inverter and if power mobs found out that l did the work inluding make own windmill gen Can they Council or any power mobs can make me to pull it down or not allow to run more than 50 volts however so why is many welder run more than 60 volts and dont need a licence ???So electrician are good for house wiring but can,t weld good as boilmaker or welder dont need eletrician licence . funny law ?

Dwyer the bushman

greendreamin

Posted: 11:54am 07 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hey there
yeah you sure have alot to learn how about starting with a 12v deep cycle battery and a solar panel and regulator,you can run a few little things ie inverters and car sterios to start learning with

48v is one of the most efficent battery voltages, this is due to the fact that higher voltages can transmit more power with less losses

simply from the windmill it will go to a rectifier to convert form AC to DC then to your batterys and you will need a dump load to prevent over charging of your batterys, then to an inverter to power your appliances from at the usual 240v

keep studying
Stu

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024