Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:35 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Bougainville_Water Power

Gill

Posted: 02:08pm 11 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day All,
Getting more reasonable rain now, though my micro hydro has been humming since Christmas.
I thought, being the wet season in Northern Australia, an article on Micro Hydro would be good to inspire more interest & experimentation in water powered generation.

Whilst I run a hydro system myself, I did not design it, I merely cooked it to the recipe of Ecoinnovation NZ, and sure I only bought the basic starter kit so had to fabricate the Box and rewire the F&P generator etc, but still I would be a fraud to present myself as a designer and try and inspire water generation on that basis.

What I have found truly inspirational by it's originality, inventiveness, resourcefulness and functionality, is the story told to me by a Mr Robert Kennington of Innisfail. He started by telling how he returned in Bougainville shortly after the lifting of the blockade. He said how he had arrived after dark and the town was pitch black, but up on the surrounding mountainsides were glimmers if light where villages had Hydro's running. Of course having a hydro of my own, I wanted all the details.

And so the details were sent to me, and now presented here by the kind permission of Mr Robert Kennington. Because of the size I do not want to load up Glenn's site, rather, I'll upload them to my web space that you can view, download or link to them as required.

This link Here or

http://www.supernerd.com.au/~giladams/
BOUGAINVILLE_MICRO HYDRO ELECTRICITY PLANT Page 1.doc
BOUGAINVILLE_MICRO HYDRO ELECTRICITY PLANT Page 2.doc
BOUGAINVILLE_MICRO HYDRO ELECTRICITY PLANT Page 3.doc

So who says it has to be perfect???
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Steve9R

Posted: 02:37am 12 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Gill.. having problems opening those word docs.. can you zip them up on your site, and ill try again..

ta
Steve

herbnz

Posted: 03:21am 12 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill !979 i spend 4 years among other things putting Hydro's in Villages PNG But no Bougainville. It was cerainly different then no Inverters Etc
Herb

Gill

Posted: 09:40am 12 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Steve,
I won't zip them as I feel they'll not be as accessible.
Is anyone else having difficulties accessing/opening the files? If so, I'll delete then upload again.

Herb,
That must have been an experience few can match. You never know, one or two of yours may have been the inspiration and pattern for those built on Bougainville.

Robert tells me some were a little crude but still workable. Like a tyre with one sidewall cut off and wooden pieces nailed at intervals around the inside to make the runner. One of yours??? ha.ha.
A little too rough for me, but hay, necessity is the mother of all invention. And if it worked, how can I knock it!!?? All credit to em I say.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 12 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry, I answered on other topic.

Hi Gill,

The .doc format is unrecognized by OpenOffice and others.

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:51pm 12 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe you can export as .pdf ...
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

herbnz

Posted: 04:24am 13 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill I cannot read files what is your word processer.
If you feel there is enough interest out there I could post a few more details of my Hydro's I think I need to get away from windmills at the moment I have just come in from putting mine back up after being down for repairs for 4 months.
Actually in PNG I was working at UNITECH Lae The money for the units was mostly foriegn aid NZ and Oz
Some good units went in but I see it is a mistake now to put modern facilities in basic villiages we are starting to impose our problems on their simple lifestyle.

HerbEdited by herbnz 2008-02-14

Gill

Posted: 10:09am 13 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Herb, I think it'd be good to put some options out there. I read in your 'current capacitor post' that you have access to = > 100 m head. Wow!!!, a hydro delight.

I'm gathering some pics and basic data on mine too, so that with your's, we'll show a little of the scope available. I'd like to see others post a little data and pics on their other types of water power generation as well. It is good to see the water wheel alive and sparking. You Kiwi's should be best in this area what with all that rain and snow covered mountains?

I've verified the last file is readable but am having computer troubles (again) so will re-upload the first two files again. They are bloody big files for just one page but I can't edit them at the moment so they'll just have to stay as I received them for now.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024