Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:01 21 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Earth Hour 2008

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:18pm 27 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

This weekend, 29th March Satruday night at 8pm is Earth Hour 2008.

Whats Earth Hour? Its where individuals, businesses and governments try to save power by turning off non-essential electrical devices for one hour. It started last year in Sydney, and this year is pushing for a global impact with many countries getting involved.

More information at their web site http://www.earthhour.org. You can sign up if you like to recieve newsletters, etc. The web site has some interresting facts and idea's on saving power, worth looking around.

I'll be turning off the hot water, lights, computer, everything. And I'll turn them off at the wall, standby mode is a big power user these days. Then I'll connect a reading light and little B&W tv to my 12v battery bank and 300 watt inverter for 60 minutes.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 10:21pm 27 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

It is a good cause. It is business as usual at my place.

I hope everyone can make a contribution in their own way.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

petanque don

Posted: 11:08pm 27 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must admit I have pondered the “what will it achieve in the whole scheme of things?” question.

But if it starts people thinking perhaps this is a good thing.

Probably the current extravagant lifestyle lead by rich people is unsustainable.

But what the point of being rich if you never get to spend/enjoy the money?

The cynical would suggest the candle makers would be happy.

Steve9R

Posted: 08:58am 31 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes i agree.. however even though we run all our lighting on solar we turned off our lights anyway... ;)

made the kids happy ;)

Steve

petanque don

Posted: 12:44am 01 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In reflection it could be a way of expressing an opinion.

If some boffin can with statistics work out that say 20% of households participated.

Would this send a message to our political leaders that the environment is important to 20% of people?

Would they adjust policies to cater for this 20%?

What if the percentage was 60%??

Logically in a democracy political leaders that ignore the majority of people eventually end up in opposition.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024